Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Kerrydale Street. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

If you decide to register, please be aware that we don't accept email addresses from free web accounts like gmail, Hotmail, live.co.uk etc. Sorry, but almost all of the abuse and spam that we get is from free web accounts. The software on the forum will automatically block any requests using a free email account.

Upon Registration, you will be given access to all our varied Forums, and you will be expected to comply with our fairly stringent Rules and Regulations. Meantime, enjoy your visit

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Supercaley...13 years ago; shudder
Topic Started: 11 Feb 2013, 06:29 AM (3,066 Views)
behan
Member Avatar
gtf
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joebloggscity
11 Feb 2013, 11:54 AM
Wiki: http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/2000-02-08%3A+Celtic+1-3+Inverness+Caledonian+Thistle,+Scottish+Cup

I think it's a pivotal point in Celtic's history, really marked a change for us IMO. The change wasn't overnight but sometimes you need results as on that night to create the changes needed.

Destroyed Barnes, and led ultimately to obtaining MoN as our manager.
I'm not sure I agree with this. It was another disappointment in a season of disappointments. If we'd beaten Caley it wouldn't have changed the fact that Barnes and Kenny would be out on their arses that summer.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

daithi1879
Getting on a bit
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
remy mcswain
11 Feb 2013, 09:44 AM
WTF would you even want to bring that up?
Glue
:blink:

Conbelfast67
Member Avatar
First-team captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
remember listening to this game on the radio :cry:

Broadsword
Member Avatar
Can I have 12 bottles of bleach please?
What a baws thread.

Tadgerama at its worst.

Fudgie
Member Avatar
there's a better way?

remy mcswain
11 Feb 2013, 09:44 AM
WTF would you even want to bring that up?
Considering a thread about a 3rd Division team is at the top of the page then it isn't that strange a topic. I don't understand the need to talk about either but this one is slightly more relevant.

modest mouse
Member Avatar
Super Ronny
I met one of the Caley Thistle directors of the time just last year. He said despite the fact they'd just pretty much humiliated us, Celtic were terrific with them that night. Basically handed over a lounge to them, gave them champagne and let them celebrate. Was probably our way of saying thanks for the opportunity to get rid of Barnes.

Guy is a big tim as well. Also mentioned that after the merger between Caley and Thistle, a lot of the former Inverness Thistle fans didn't want to know, as it was effectively a Caley takeover. Might explain why they still struggle for crowds.
Edited by modest mouse, 11 Feb 2013, 02:00 PM.

p-livi67
Member Avatar
Older than dirt
Was it really THAT big a deal? It wasn't to me anyway.

Stringer Bell
Member Avatar
Club Captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
A cup upset. These things happen every season. As others said it accelarated the departure of Barnes, which was a good thing for us.

Raith Rovers was worse.

oneantonrogan
Member Avatar
Everyone's Fantasy Football first pick
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
modest mouse
11 Feb 2013, 02:00 PM
I met one of the Caley Thistle directors of the time just last year. He said despite the fact they'd just pretty much humiliated us, Celtic were terrific with them that night. Basically handed over a lounge to them, gave them champagne and let them celebrate. Was probably our way of saying thanks for the opportunity to get rid of Barnes.

Guy is a big tim as well. Also mentioned that after the merger between Caley and Thistle, a lot of the former Inverness Thistle fans didn't want to know, as it was effectively a Caley takeover. Might explain why they still struggle for crowds.
Absolutely does explain it. I followed Thistle growing up, as did my pals, my dad, his pals. They all either defected to Ross County or Clach or chucked it altogether after the "merger".

It was a shampoo game, but upsets happen. They were an ambitious 1st Division team at the time, it was hardly the shock of the century.

Johnbhoy1981
First name on the team-sheet
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I was there but the Semi Final replay defeat to Falkirk was far worse as were our 5 defeats at Hampden in the past 2 and a half years with the League Cup Final defeat to Kilmarnock being the one that really sickened me.

TheEvilGenius
Member Avatar
Look out Chief, he's very gradually getting away
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
:rubeyes:

REALLY!!?? WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN!!??

Because, you know, the media have never mentioned it since......... ;) :rolleyes:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Quiet Assasin
Member Avatar
..for the maintenance of dinner tables for the children and the unemployed
oneantonrogan
11 Feb 2013, 02:29 PM
modest mouse
11 Feb 2013, 02:00 PM

Absolutely does explain it. I followed Thistle growing up, as did my pals, my dad, his pals. They all either defected to Ross County or Clach or chucked it altogether after the "merger".

It was a shampoo game, but upsets happen. They were an ambitious 1st Division team at the time, it was hardly the shock of the century.
How did you end up supporting Celtic?

steviefrombelfast
Getting on a bit
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
joebloggscity
11 Feb 2013, 11:54 AM
Wiki: http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/2000-02-08%3A+Celtic+1-3+Inverness+Caledonian+Thistle,+Scottish+Cup

I think it's a pivotal point in Celtic's history, really marked a change for us IMO. The change wasn't overnight but sometimes you need results as on that night to create the changes needed.

Destroyed Barnes, and led ultimately to obtaining MoN as our manager.
It was a major point in Celtics history. Given that we won the League Cup that year it is entirely possible that we could have went on to win the Scottish Cup as well - and we would have been stuck with Barnes. All if, buts and maybes but given the way the club bank-rolled Barnes & Dalglish and the ready-made excuse of Henrik's injury I think it would have taken a lot to shift Barnes at that time - thankfully the ICT result done the job.

604Tim
Member Avatar
First-team captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
effing pardon me, I saw it on youtube, couldn't remember the exact date but I was there, it was horrible, as I say there were grown men crying and everyone was having a shampooty time, and it did usher MoN in.

Basically we can respond to it now with "It brought us MoN in and we went to Seville, Wahay!" GIRFUYH

edit, never mind seville... 7 months from caley to the 6-2 game. THAT'S a turnaround
Edited by 604Tim, 11 Feb 2013, 07:41 PM.

ShugSty
Occasional Substitute
[ *  *  *  * ]
Stringer Bell
11 Feb 2013, 02:20 PM
A cup upset. These things happen every season. As others said it accelarated the departure of Barnes, which was a good thing for us.

Raith Rovers was worse.
I agree - the Caley debacle was humiliating beyond belief but it got the powers-that-be at Celtic to get their heads out of their asses and sort out the managerial side of things at Celtic properly - ie employ a proven and charismatic manager. :rocker:

Raith Rovers was simply soul destroying. :brickwall: :boik: :cry:

Quiet Assasin
Member Avatar
..for the maintenance of dinner tables for the children and the unemployed
I remember we were on a pretty patchy run of form, and on our way to the original Saturday fixture I opined that sticking three or four past this mob might turn things around. Was on the M74 when we heard it was off and had to turn around. :ffs:

Fly Pelican
We've been victim of an upset every year we haven't won the treble :cry:

Munich Tim
Member Avatar
Tooooooooooooor!
Personally it was a positive. I knew Barnes couldn't survive it, and we ended up getting MON and years of hunskelping :)

Clyde away was worse.

Jinkys 7
Member Avatar
We trust
Neil Jung
11 Feb 2013, 10:47 AM
Just another cup upset. Can't see why someone would want to bring it up just now, 13 year anniversary is a bit Sevco-ish, as its not as if it doesn't get mentioned a lot. We might have lost that night but we won overall. It was the catalyst for change at the club and that change brought about the downfall of the huns.
/thread.

StMiley
Member Avatar
holy smoke
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Living in Brighton at the time, forget why I was traveling in a taxi when the game was ending, but driver had radio on and was very chatty, quick to realize I was a Celtic man, he asked -

'You must be gutted mate?'

I replied, 'Naw, effin' delighted, Barnes will be gone in the mornin'

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Celtic Football Club Discussion Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply