Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Kerrydale Street. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

If you decide to register, please be aware that we don't accept email addresses from free web accounts like gmail, Hotmail, live.co.uk etc. Sorry, but almost all of the abuse and spam that we get is from free web accounts. The software on the forum will automatically block any requests using a free email account.

Upon Registration, you will be given access to all our varied Forums, and you will be expected to comply with our fairly stringent Rules and Regulations. Meantime, enjoy your visit

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Youth Set Up - St Ninians HS obviously working.; Scotland development squad announced.
Topic Started: 9 Feb 2013, 10:32 AM (5,544 Views)
boneill88
Member Avatar
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I received a letter from the SFA asking that one of our pupils is allowed to attend a development day for the U15 Scotland squad. This is a squad of 24 kids which has been whittled down from 50-60 of the best boys at pro youth level over the past year and will be the Victory Shield squad next season. I was looked at the squad list and on it was 11 boys from us, 2 from St Mirren, 2 from Dundee Utd and 1 each from various clubs including Arsenal and West Ham. I was surprised when Sevco had no one in the squad and obviously shows that they are not producing top quality players at this point.

Most of you will know that Celtic have a link with St Ninians in Kirkintilloch where they send boys to school here so that we can train them more. A basic day for the boys is:

Bused from home to St Ninians
Training session before school
Breakfast with the squad
Lunch with the squad
Bused to Lennoxtown after the game
2 hours to study/complete homework
Training at night
Parents pick kids up afterwards.

I am under the impression that this is 3 or 4 days a week of this routine and it seems to be producing the results at the moment in terms of youngsters being the best in the country. Any one I have spoken to at St Ninians have been impressed with the boys attitude, albeit not perfect as kids that age aren't.

Just wondering what anyone we thought about our youth structure and the positives/negatives behind it?
Edited by boneill88, 9 Feb 2013, 10:34 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

esteponabhoy
First team training
[ *  *  * ]
It may produce some decent players but the St Ninian's schedule kinda reminds me of the old east germany/romanian/russian set ups in 70's bit indoctrinated and robotic no flair.

Quiet Assasin
Member Avatar
..for the maintenance of dinner tables for the children and the unemployed
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I don't know the specifics of the tie up but I do know the head teacher of St Ninian's. the last time I spoke to him - at Celtic Park no less - he was very proud of his school's contribution to the club

boneill88
Member Avatar
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
esteponabhoy
9 Feb 2013, 10:37 AM
It may produce some decent players but the St Ninian's schedule kinda reminds me of the old east germany/romanian/russian set ups in 70's bit indoctrinated and robotic no flair.
It seems to be based on the Dutch system, I have been to Feyenoord and Balencia on football development trips and it is almost exactly what is happening in Rotterdam. Not a million miles away from the Valencia model either. Kinda a slightly watered down version of La Masia I reckon.

Quiet Assasin
Member Avatar
..for the maintenance of dinner tables for the children and the unemployed
esteponabhoy
Yep. Personally I'd be gutted if we produced the next Michael Ballack with this scheme

boneill88
Member Avatar
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Quiet Assasin
9 Feb 2013, 10:41 AM
esteponabhoy
Yep. Personally I'd be gutted if we produced the next Michael Ballack with this scheme
Or Hagi, or Moravcik

stibhan
Member Avatar
Viva la Quinta Brigada
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Catholic schools :nono:

esteponabhoy
First team training
[ *  *  * ]
boneill88
9 Feb 2013, 10:42 AM
Quiet Assasin
9 Feb 2013, 10:41 AM
esteponabhoy
Or Hagi, or Moravcik
From the amount of players the romanian FA directed to certain clubs in that era Hagi is a memorable 1 but most of his big games were post ceausescu when he went to real madrid in 1990

southern bhoy
Member Avatar
Club Captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
esteponabhoy
Don't think that it is anything like that. Giving talented youths a chance at the sport they love and an education in the event of it not working for them.

DwightKSchrute
Member Avatar
(formerly aboutabhoy)
esteponabhoy
Can you talk us through the leap you've made between the schedule, and how this results in "no flair"?

Bodom Bhoy
Member Avatar
Simmer Down
esteponabhoy
Wibble.

andythom1
Member Avatar
Occasional Substitute
[ *  *  *  * ]
Said before on this forum, excellent school with brilliant people working there.
The boys could do a lot worse than St Ninians
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

buzzbomb273
Member Avatar
concrete jungle where dreams are made of
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
started in a few schools last year, boys and girls of good potential are invited to attend schools of excellence where they follow a similar routine, holyrood is my nearest one, one of my girls who plays for celtic was asked but she had already started secondary school a year early.
Edited by buzzbomb273, 9 Feb 2013, 07:56 PM.

Burnley Celt
Member Avatar
Old fud, taking things easy......
My Alma Mater. :cry:

antonylockhart
Member Avatar
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Used to go to that school, when did they move Eastwood to Kirkintilloch

glenbhoy
Member Avatar
Occasional Substitute
[ *  *  *  * ]
boneill88
9 Feb 2013, 10:32 AM
I received a letter from the SFA asking that one of our pupils is allowed to attend a development day for the U15 Scotland squad. This is a squad of 24 kids which has been whittled down from 50-60 of the best boys at pro youth level over the past year and will be the Victory Shield squad next season. I was looked at the squad list and on it was 11 boys from us, 2 from St Mirren, 2 from Dundee Utd and 1 each from various clubs including Arsenal and West Ham. I was surprised when Sevco had no one in the squad and obviously shows that they are not producing top quality players at this point.

Most of you will know that Celtic have a link with St Ninians in Kirkintilloch where they send boys to school here so that we can train them more. A basic day for the boys is:

Bused from home to St Ninians
Training session before school
Breakfast with the squad
Lunch with the squad
Bused to Lennoxtown after the game
2 hours to study/complete homework
Training at night
Parents pick kids up afterwards.

I am under the impression that this is 3 or 4 days a week of this routine and it seems to be producing the results at the moment in terms of youngsters being the best in the country. Any one I have spoken to at St Ninians have been impressed with the boys attitude, albeit not perfect as kids that age aren't.

Just wondering what anyone we thought about our youth structure and the positives/negatives behind it?
Well done St Ninian's, and the headie and staff who had the understanding to put it in place and continue to make it happen. On a shoestring budget I suspect.
Invite the Scotland manager for a visit.

Pacey
Member Avatar
First name on the team-sheet
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
It costs us 200K a year, I think we have around 40 players their now. They train Mon to Friday starting at 6:30am, 9 training session per week, 18 hours in total. They probably train more than a lot of first team pros in Scotland.

Dundee Utd also have a similar setup.

glenbhoy
Member Avatar
Occasional Substitute
[ *  *  *  * ]
Pacey
9 Feb 2013, 10:05 PM
It costs us 200K a year, I think we have around 40 players their now. They train Mon to Friday starting at 6:30am, 9 training session per week, 18 hours in total. They probably train more than a lot of first team pros in Scotland.

Great to hear about this. That's the road to Scotland qualifing for Euros and World Cups (eventually). No nonsense hard work. Listen to Andy Murray and his schedule. The youngsters can only benefit whatever happens.
Well done you guys.
Where does the SFA money actually go???

Pacey
Member Avatar
First name on the team-sheet
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
glenbhoy
9 Feb 2013, 10:34 PM
Pacey
9 Feb 2013, 10:05 PM

Great to hear about this. That's the road to Scotland qualifing for Euros and World Cups (eventually). No nonsense hard work. Listen to Andy Murray and his schedule. The youngsters can only benefit whatever happens.
Well done you guys.
Where does the SFA money actually go???
I think the SFA are trying to copy the concept in 7 schools around the country with this new "performance school strategy". It's about 25 years too late but better late than never I suppose.

andythom1
Member Avatar
Occasional Substitute
[ *  *  *  * ]
Edited by andythom1, 9 Feb 2013, 11:57 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Celtic Football Club Discussion Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply