Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Kerrydale Street. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

If you decide to register, please be aware that we don't accept email addresses from free web accounts like gmail, Hotmail, live.co.uk etc. Sorry, but almost all of the abuse and spam that we get is from free web accounts. The software on the forum will automatically block any requests using a free email account.

Upon Registration, you will be given access to all our varied Forums, and you will be expected to comply with our fairly stringent Rules and Regulations. Meantime, enjoy your visit

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ESPN confirm they are exiting the UK
Topic Started: 6 Feb 2013, 01:10 PM (15,154 Views)
SacredHoops
Getting on a bit
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
MICK02CFC
9 Feb 2013, 10:46 PM
I just called up to cancel this.

Between now and the 7th April the huns are on 5 times and we aren't on at all.

Feck that. :pitchfork:

I also chanced my arm and got half price Sky Sports for the next 6 months. :chuffed:
It's crazy. There are some decent teams in the SPL but we never see them and we get division 3 every other week. We saw last weekend the standard Sevco are playing at. They might get the huns tuning in but no casual viewers are going to watch that when there's Spanish and English football on Sky.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

cuibono
Member Avatar
So Far Up The Equality Tree
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Who shows US sports in the UK? I was assuming that ESPN shows baseball, hockey, NFL etc?

M74 Extension
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
cuibono
10 Feb 2013, 10:56 PM
Who shows US sports in the UK? I was assuming that ESPN shows baseball, hockey, NFL etc?
ESPN have two channels in the UK; ESPN and ESPN America. MLB, NHL, NBA, College Basketball & Football etc on ESPN America. No NFL though. Up till the end of last season they had Monday Night Football. And we got the game day build up on Sundays.

But BBC picked up the rights to the Monday Night games. It was the first sign I think of ESPN pulling the plug. All of a sudden they started showing edited versions of PTI and Around the Horn where you couldn't see the highlights they were talking about! :(

So now NFL is on Sky on Sundays, the late Sunday game is on Channel 4 and the Monday game on BBC.

TheScotsman
Member Avatar
Occasional Substitute
[ *  *  *  * ]
M74 Extension
11 Feb 2013, 12:26 AM
cuibono
...But BBC picked up the rights to the Monday Night games. It was the first sign I think of ESPN pulling the plug. All of a sudden they started showing edited versions of PTI and Around the Horn where you couldn't see the highlights they were talking about! :(

So now NFL is on Sky on Sundays, the late Sunday game is on Channel 4 and the Monday game on BBC.
Why on earth are the BBC paying for NFL matches?
- I imagine it costs a lot and has little public interest from the license fee payers, and it was already on another channel.

liger05
Member Avatar
Considering retirement
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
TheScotsman
11 Feb 2013, 07:05 AM
M74 Extension
cuibono
...But BBC picked up the rights to the Monday Night games. It was the first sign I think of ESPN pulling the plug. All of a sudden they started showing edited versions of PTI and Around the Horn where you couldn't see the highlights they were talking about! :(

- I imagine it costs a lot and has little public interest from the license fee payers, and it was already on another channel.
Probably isnt costing the too much and the NFL likely want some presence on terrestrial tv considering they come here every year. I think this year they will be staging two games in London.

G0rdybhoy
Member Avatar
Occasional Substitute
[ *  *  *  * ]
M74 Extension
cuibono
ESPN have two channels in the UK; ESPN and ESPN America. MLB, NHL, NBA, College Basketball & Football etc on ESPN America. No NFL though. Up till the end of last season they had Monday Night Football. And we got the game day build up on Sundays.

But BBC picked up the rights to the Monday Night games. It was the first sign I think of ESPN pulling the plug. All of a sudden they started showing edited versions of PTI and Around the Horn where you couldn't see the highlights they were talking about! :(

ESPN don't show NHL in the UK either, Premier Sports are the only channel that shows it. It's been like that since last season, sadly.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Benjamin7
Occasional Substitute
[ *  *  *  * ]
TheScotsman
M74 Extension
cuibono

The NFL in the UK has an absolutely huge following.

Are all the ESPN channels shutting down? Including ESPN America? When does this happen?

M74 Extension
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
TheScotsman
M74 Extension
cuibono

They are only spending about £3.50 on the production...two guys in a cupboard filling in the ad breaks :angry:

Ess
Member Avatar
Abooganza!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I get a few espn channels as part of al jazeera sports as an extra but i dont get scottish football
Is this a reigonal package or something

Forza
Club Captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Benjamin7
11 Feb 2013, 11:27 PM
TheScotsman
M74 Extension

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
The NFL in the UK has an absolutely huge following.

Are all the ESPN channels shutting down? Including ESPN America? When does this happen?
I wouldnt say huge. Sizeable for a US sport, compared to say baseball, but not huge. The viewing figures would not bear that out.

Less people watched either of the NFL Conference final games (the joint second most important games of the season) on Sky Sports 2 than watched St Mirren v Ross County on the same channel the day before. And one of those games was in prime time, 8pm on a Sunday night in the UK.

The Superbowl is a different kettle of fish entirely. A whole army of mugs feign interest in it so they can watch pish like Beyonce at half time.

Undoubtedly a market for NFL in the UK, but its perceived value is greatly exaggerated.

liger05
Member Avatar
Considering retirement
http://www.btlife.bt.com/entertainment/bt-group-acquires-espns-uk-and-ireland-television-channels-business/

Quote:

It’s a big day for BT Sport with news that we have reached an agreement to acquire the ESPN and ESPN America channels in the UK and Ireland, including FA Cup, Scottish Premier League, European football and more is being added to the package of top action which will be available from this summer.

BT Group and ESPN announced today that they have agreed that BT will acquire ESPN’s UK and Ireland TV channels business. These primarily comprise the ESPN and ESPN America channels and their live sports rights portfolio, including the FA Cup, Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League, UEFA Europa League, and the German Bundesliga.

The transaction is expected to complete on July 31, 2013 after which BT will continue to operate at least one ESPN-branded channel which is expected to form part of the BT Sport TV package that will be launched by BT this summer. Additionally, the deal will allow BT to continue to show a host of US sports currently shown on ESPN America, including NCAA College Basketball, NCAA College Football and NASCAR. The ESPN channels will be broadcast from BT Sport’s new home in the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in Stratford. Until completion, the service for current subscribers to the ESPN channels across all television platforms remains unchanged.

The deal will enable BT Sport customers to see live coverage of the FA Cup for the 2013/14 season, the Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League until the end of the 2016/17 season and the UEFA Europa League and German Bundesliga through to the end of the 2014/15 season. These join the broadcast rights that BT Sport has previously announced, including 38 live Barclays Premier League matches – including 18 of the top clashes – in each of the next three seasons (beginning August 2013); 69 live Aviva Premiership Rugby matches for the next four seasons; and up to 800 hours per season of live women’s tennis, including the TEB BNP Paribas WTA Championships.

ESPN will continue to own and operate its existing digital media businesses which include multisport news and information portal ESPN.co.uk, ESPNcricinfo (cricket), ESPNFC (football), ESPNscrum (rugby), ESPNF1 (Formula 1) and broadband streaming service ESPN Player. ESPN Classic has been excluded from the proposed transaction.

Marc Watson, chief executive of television, BT Retail, said:
“We are delighted to have reached agreement with ESPN for the acquisition of their UK channels business and that we have been able to add some exciting new sports rights to the ones we already have.

“The FA Cup, Scottish Premier League and Europa League rights will allow us to offer customers of BT Sport even more quality live football, including our first games from the Scottish top flight and our first European competition rights. There will also be the best of US sports available courtesy of this deal, which will further broaden the appeal of BT Sport.”

Ross Hair, managing director, ESPN – Europe, Middle East and Africa, said:
“We could not be more proud of the TV channels built and nurtured by our talented team over the past four years. The value of that hard work is reflected in this deal with BT and the continuation of ESPN on television screens across the UK and Ireland. The same passion, commitment and innovation will be at the heart of how we develop our strong digital media business into the future.”

Completion of the transaction is subject to regulatory clearance.
Separate from the agreement with BT, ESPN is proposing the wind down of ESPN Classic throughout the EMEA region and the non-UK ESPN America TV businesses.

antbhoy
Member Avatar
Marshal of the Soviet Union
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
What is happening to ESPN classic then? I quite like that with the old films of the WC etc.

Forza
Club Captain
So BT takes over ESPN's contract for the SPL?

The implications of this could be pretty horrendous for subscribers. At the moment I pay an additional £9 on top of my Sky for ESPN, all because I know that about 8 or 9 Celtic games will be shown on it over the course of a season.

I would imagine that given their obscene outlay on the English Premier League, allied to its outlay on other leagues and rugby etc, an additional BT subscription will cost much more than £9 a month.

Wee Red
Member Avatar
not too serious
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Forza
25 Feb 2013, 02:39 PM

The implications of this could be pretty horrendous for subscribers. At the moment I pay an additional £9 on top of my Sky for ESPN, all because I know that about 8 or 9 Celtic games will be shown on it over the course of a season.

I would imagine that given their obscene outlay on the English Premier League, allied to its outlay on other leagues and rugby etc, an additional BT subscription will cost much more than £9 a month.
Drop Sky for BT?

liger05
Member Avatar
Considering retirement
Forza

Anymore than £10 a month and I think I'll be out.
Edited by liger05, 25 Feb 2013, 02:44 PM.

Forza
Club Captain
Wee Red
25 Feb 2013, 02:42 PM
Forza

Drop Sky for BT?
Dropping Sky and going with BT means you dont get access to Sky Sports 3 or 4, unless they are intent on changing that.

As we all know, SPL games often tend to get shunted onto Sky Sports 4.

I think the terminology is 'by the short and curlies'.

liger05
Member Avatar
Considering retirement
BT never mentioned the UFC in the press release so will be interesting to see where that ends up.

Aycliffe Bhoy
Member Avatar
First name on the team-sheet
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I binned ESPN last week and they never asked me why i was getting rid off or nowt....mind you my password may have gave it away :lol:

Joseph D. Pistone
Member Avatar
First name on the team-sheet
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wee Red
25 Feb 2013, 02:42 PM
Forza

Drop Sky for BT?
That is the intention - BT are in direct competition with SKY in the TV/Braodband/Phone market.

waco
Member Avatar
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
just binned sky this morning and get email from bt about their new sports channel

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Celtic Football Club Discussion Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply