Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Kerrydale Street. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

If you decide to register, please be aware that we don't accept email addresses from free web accounts like gmail, Hotmail, live.co.uk etc. Sorry, but almost all of the abuse and spam that we get is from free web accounts. The software on the forum will automatically block any requests using a free email account.

Upon Registration, you will be given access to all our varied Forums, and you will be expected to comply with our fairly stringent Rules and Regulations. Meantime, enjoy your visit

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Artificial Pitches
Topic Started: 26 Jan 2013, 06:30 PM (4,037 Views)
Rosco67
Member Avatar
Don't forget to bring a towel!
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hinkel's Beard
29 Jan 2013, 11:53 AM
Rosco67
29 Jan 2013, 11:33 AM
Playing on one of these pitches tonight for the first time. Are slide tackles going to burn like eff?
Not really. You'll be picking the wee rubber bits out of every orifice if you try a slide tackle, though.
Bugger. I spend a ridiculous amount of time on the ground :lol:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

GanleyBhoy95
Member Avatar
MEOW
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Wee bump after todays match, surely couldn't be worse than playing on that pitch today??

Quiet Assasin
Member Avatar
..for the maintenance of dinner tables for the children and the unemployed
Today's pitch was certainly space age. It was like playing on the moon. Actually, scratch that. The ball wouldn't be stuck to the deck on the moon!

Rip
Member Avatar
I'm new. Be gentle.
Vinnie Bhoy
28 Jan 2013, 07:01 AM
I'd like to see SPL teams like Motherwell try the hybrid pitch. Fake grass woven into the turf. I think Wembley uses it and the New England
Patriots who share their stadium with a MLS team who use it with no issues. Field turf which was the previous generation had issues with the way the ball bounced. As much as artificial pitches can be bad on joints, a poorly maintained grass pitch can be just as serious.

The Patriots installed the newest version of FieldTurf a couple of years ago, FIFA approves:

Quote:

Gillette Stadium's FieldTurf surface has now earned FIFA 2-Star recommended status - for the second consecutive year. It is now the only field in the United States to have successfully passed FIFA 2-Star tests in back-to-back years. When the FieldTurf was initially tested in 2010, Gillette Stadiumís surface marked the only field in the United States to have FIFA 2-Star status.

Home to Major League Soccer's New England Revolution for soccer matches and the New England Patriots for football, Gillette Stadium has proven to be the ideal multi-purpose venue with a field that has been designed specifically to mirror the playing characteristics of professional soccer, in addition to football.

The FIFA Recommended 2-Star designation is the highest synthetic turf rating from FIFA and is issued after a battery of tests are performed by a FIFA approved testing agent. FIFA final round competitions and top UEFA competitions have the FIFA Recommended 2-Star in their respective competition regulations.

Pic of the turf below:

Posted Image

There's a price tag, of course. Estimates put the cost of the turf at Gillette at close to $1 million. That's offset somewhat by drastically reduced maintenance costs, but whether an SPL club could afford it remains to be seen.

Edited by Rip, 5 Feb 2013, 04:54 PM.

k3vkr
Member Avatar
The weather is fine in Majorca
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Anyone who thinks 4G or even the new 5G pitches are better than grass, doesnt play on grass very often.

They are great for training etc, but the ball still does funny things on artificial surfaces, bounces irratically, sticks etc..
I have also yet to play on one that doesnt burn if you slide tackle or fall going full pelt, so, Petrov (Remy) style tights all round...

They have their uses, but top class football is not one of them. Having said that, the hybrid above sounds intriguing :thumbsup:

Fortune Teller
Member Avatar
Hot to Trott
k3vkr
5 Feb 2013, 05:03 PM
Anyone who thinks 4G or even the new 5G pitches are better than grass, doesnt play on grass very often.

They are great for training etc, but the ball still does funny things on artificial surfaces, bounces irratically, sticks etc..
I have also yet to play on one that doesnt burn if you slide tackle or fall going full pelt, so, Petrov (Remy) style tights all round...

They have their uses, but top class football is not one of them. Having said that, the hybrid above sounds intriguing :thumbsup:
All of that happens on grass pitches as well though. If anything an artificial pitch is more consistent than a myriad of different grass pitches all in different conditions

Quiet Assasin
Member Avatar
..for the maintenance of dinner tables for the children and the unemployed
Falkirk's hybrid pitch was a shambles the other day. Obviously not standing up to the Scottish winter.

k3vkr
Member Avatar
Fortune Teller
5 Feb 2013, 05:19 PM
k3vkr

All of that happens on grass pitches as well though. If anything an artificial pitch is more consistent than a myriad of different grass pitches all in different conditions
You are misunderstanding i think...
Poor grass pitches do it, yes.
The point i am aking is that it can happen at anytime on an artificial pitch, and it will take you by surprise, at least on a pants grass park you are aware of divets, mud patches, wet parts and can to a certain extent allow for it... On an artificial park you cant.

You could maybe develop a material that can be used for footballs, that could eliminate it??

mick405
Member Avatar
Get to the chopper!!
k3vkr
5 Feb 2013, 06:03 PM
Fortune Teller
k3vkr

You could maybe develop a material that can be used for footballs, that could eliminate it??
Wonder how a Mouldmaster would react to a plastic pitch :hmmm:
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

p-livi67
Member Avatar
Older than dirt
mick405
5 Feb 2013, 06:27 PM
k3vkr
Fortune Teller

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepbounces irratically, sticks etc..
A nuclear fusion reaction would be induced.

Hellas67
Member Avatar
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
mick405
5 Feb 2013, 06:27 PM
k3vkr
Fortune Teller

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepbounces irratically, sticks etc..
A mouldmaster would have the same effect on a plastic pitch that it did on many many children of yesteryear, in that I would expect the plastic pitch to have big bald patches in places from the constant tearing out at the roots of the fibres everytime the ball bounced on it (as it would to your hear when headering), with many parts of the pitch being forever scarred with huge dimpled indentations, finishing off by running crying to it's big plstic mummy after the game.......... :cry:

Luxo
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
uistbhoy
26 Jan 2013, 11:09 PM
i think a lot of pitches are hybrid these days right? including Easter Road apparently.

Desso GrassMaster and all that.
Ours is hybrid too. I remember reading (in The View i think) that the Celtic park pitch is something like 86% grass woven round 14% artificial fibres.

uistbhoy
tough on huns, tough on the causes of huns (c) tc67
Luxo
6 Feb 2013, 12:19 AM
uistbhoy
i think a lot of pitches are hybrid these days right? including Easter Road apparently.

Ours is hybrid too. I remember reading (in The View i think) that the Celtic park pitch is something like 86% grass woven round 14% artificial fibres.
did not know that

GetFunky
Member Avatar
Local Hero
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
k3vkr

I'd rather play on a plastic park with an erratic bounce than a grassy bog with no bounce as we witnessed against Raith.

A plastic pitch encourages players to get the ball down and play football.

Luxo
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
tinytim81
28 Jan 2013, 09:47 AM
Based on the fact that Celtic Park is usually kept in excellent condition isn't it fair to say that the other pitches are a mess because of the poor standard of groundskeeping?
not 100% true. Celtic Park (and Pittodrie I think) as well as most english prem league grounds, now use the UV growlamps on non match days. this process replicates sunlight, and makes a massive difference to the growth of grass on the field. There was a discussion on the radio last season (or the season before) where the pundits were saying these lamps are very expensive to run, and so many clubs can't afford to buy and run them. also - all epl clubs have to have weather protection for the pitch. traditionally this meant undersoil heating (like we have at celtic park) but nowadays, most epl clubs use a cheaper alternative, a kind of plastic cover with heaters underneath it. in the spl, clubs without heating seem to be using tarpaulins and even straw etc to protect the pitch in winter. given our climate, weather protection for the pitch SHOULD imo be one of the minimum standards for spl admission. (ie undersoil heating, or somehing equivalent). that way, we would ensure games could always go ahead.

k3vkr
Member Avatar
GetFunky
6 Feb 2013, 12:23 AM
k3vkr

I'd rather play on a plastic park with an erratic bounce than a grassy bog with no bounce as we witnessed against Raith.

A plastic pitch encourages players to get the ball down and play football.
Fair do's, but there is a reason why these haven't been rolled out everywhere with crap weather like us...

My guess is its cos they're shampooe :thumbsup:
Do no end of damage to your feet also, unless you plump for a pair of pumps like mick405...

goalsgallagher
Occasional Substitute
[ *  *  *  * ]
Luxo
uistbhoy

What about the other 5%

:ponder:

quinn1888
Member Avatar
Reason will prevail
goalsgallagher
6 Feb 2013, 05:35 AM
Luxo
uistbhoy

What about the other 5%

:ponder:
:hmmm: Here was me thinking that 86 + 14 equalled 100.
Edited by quinn1888, 6 Feb 2013, 05:57 AM.

The Pin
Member Avatar
smoother than moves by Villanova
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
k3vkr
6 Feb 2013, 12:26 AM
Fair do's, but there is a reason why these haven't been rolled out everywhere with crap weather like us...

My guess is its cos they're shampooe :thumbsup:
Do no end of damage to your feet also, unless you plump for a pair of pumps like mick405...

You'll, no doubt, have evidence for your claim that artificial pitches are bad for players' feet? In fact FIFA's research suggests that there is no increase in injuries in games played on artificial pitches.

Good quality artificial pitches are far superior to poorly maintained grass. Nobody's suggesting the Nou Camp should have astro, but you can't seriosly agrue that Fir Park's surface is preferable to 4G.

They're used in Serie A, Ligue 1, Eredivisie and the Russian premier league, but you don't think they're good enough for the SPL...

The Pin
Member Avatar
smoother than moves by Villanova
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Watching Sportscene, just thought I'd give this a bump.

The pitches are almost universally dreadful and make the SPL look like a pub league.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Celtic Football Club Discussion Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply