Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Kerrydale Street. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

If you decide to register, please be aware that we don't accept email addresses from free web accounts like gmail, Hotmail, live.co.uk etc. Sorry, but almost all of the abuse and spam that we get is from free web accounts. The software on the forum will automatically block any requests using a free email account.

Upon Registration, you will be given access to all our varied Forums, and you will be expected to comply with our fairly stringent Rules and Regulations. Meantime, enjoy your visit

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Artificial Pitches
Topic Started: 26 Jan 2013, 06:30 PM (3,967 Views)
p-livi67
Member Avatar
Older than dirt
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
What does everyone think about the possibility of SPL sides using artificial surfaces?

In my opinion, the technology has moved an awful long way in recent years and whilst a perfect grass park is better than an artificial surface, I believe that we really need to look at artificial parks at the higher levels in Scottish football. I know much of amateur football is now played on high quality plastic pitches which can only benefit football in this country given the poor quality of public grass parks available.

They also provide an alternative revenue stream for clubs with the option to rent out the pitches in the evening for the public and also it gives the clubs more options for training and coaching younger sides.

I went to watch Airdrie v Thistle on their plastic pitch recently and I must say that I thought it played very well and didn't hinder the run of the ball or change the complexion and flow of the game.

What do y'all think?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Broadsword
Member Avatar
Can I have 12 bottles of bleach please?
I'm for it. The 4g pitches are excellent.

mick405
Member Avatar
Get to the chopper!!
The one at Toryglen, home of the KDS 8s, was recently redone up to FIFA standards again. Is it 4G they call it? I can't mind. Anyway, it is good, but I think it's sticky when passing the ball. Can they be watered? :ponder:

It also hurts when you fall onto it. I've never cried once though.

Broadsword
Member Avatar
Can I have 12 bottles of bleach please?
mick405
26 Jan 2013, 06:33 PM
The one at Toryglen, home of the KDS 8s, was recently redone up to FIFA standards again. Is it 4G they call it? I can't mind. Anyway, it is good, but I think it's sticky when passing the ball. Can they be watered? :ponder:

Problem sorted

Da_J_Doc-~
Member Avatar
Not just a forum!
Young lad has played on a few 4g pitches and they are brilliant, really suit a ball on the deck style of play.

ecemleafs
First team training
[ *  *  * ]
i liked playing on the artificial pitches in college. (not organized or anything) the pitch was always in top condition. hundreds of ppl played on it everyday and if it was regular grass pitch the thing would have been a mud pit or rock hard depending on the weather. also like how even the ball moved on the surface and not bobbling like u see on grass pitches that arent maintained to high standard.

p-livi67
Member Avatar
Older than dirt
mick405
26 Jan 2013, 06:33 PM

Clubs that have them tend to water their pitches quite heavily. :thumbsup:

IainG
Member Avatar
Older than dirt
They have improved immensely over the years and will continue to do so. I'm in favour. Better than the mudheaps you can get at Motherwell and Tannadice.

If we continue to play football in the winter months they should help to raise the skill factor in due course.

Also, they could be an additional source of revenue to cash strapped clubs if they are hired out to other sporting bodies.

Wailer
Member Avatar
I and I say, YEH man.
I've been taking my kids to football for the past 10 years and there have been great strides forward in the quality of these pitches. It's definitely encouraged a passing game in the younger ranks although competition needs looked at there to keep this improvement going. My only gripe is the cost to clubs to hire these pitches out, it's certainly not feasible for any small club to play on one on a regular basis.
Edited by Wailer, 26 Jan 2013, 07:52 PM.

Tommy_Burns
Member Avatar
a zone has never scored a goal
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
They are still pretty poor for quick turning as studs can get caught in the turf and injuries would occur because of this. Much better than the old pish though.

The wee black bits on the 4G are annoying as eff as well. Get everywhere :arrr:

IainG
Member Avatar
Older than dirt
Suited us in Moscow at any rate.

:thumbsup:

Da_J_Doc-~
Member Avatar
Not just a forum!
Tommy_Burns
26 Jan 2013, 07:19 PM
They are still pretty poor for quick turning as studs can get caught in the turf and injuries would occur because of this. Much better than the old pish though.

4G doesn't have black bits

quinn1888
Member Avatar
Reason will prevail
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Tommy_Burns

Specific Artificial Grass soles on boots help a lot with preventing injuries.

mick405
Member Avatar
Get to the chopper!!
Tommy_Burns
They certainly are. I bring home a couple of hundred of those every week :angry:

Gherkin Jerk
Everyone's Fantasy Football first pick
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
bit spooky coming on to find this thread, was only talking about this to my mate this afternoon. i was down watching my nephew play for harmony row on their pitch at shieldhall and was commenting on how good the surface is there, best i've seen anywhere. couldnt resist a couple of sneaky post match penalties (into an empty net). it's so level and the pace and bounce of the ball is perfect. unlike earlier versions, studs/blades are fine on it. not sure how true but he claims that it is 5G there? obviously i was giving it the 'you lot dont know you were born' pish, 'it was rid blaes in my day' and all that :lol:

edit: speeling
Edited by Gherkin Jerk, 26 Jan 2013, 07:58 PM.

southern bhoy
Member Avatar
Club Captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Have played on the old artificial pitches and the new 3/4G. Always give me sore back and ankles next day. Of course that could be because I am :davieweir: and really should realise that I should stick to watching.

KillieTim
Member Avatar
First-team captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
We did OK at Dunfermline, 4-1 in 04' If i remember right.

The 8-1 game at East End was that on plastic, i was at that game too, but cant remember if it was grass or plastic.

Quiet Assasin
Member Avatar
..for the maintenance of dinner tables for the children and the unemployed
Bobo Balde causes more injuries than plastic pitches.

Tim Waits
Member Avatar
Sanctimonious Pumpkin

Gherkin Jerk
26 Jan 2013, 07:47 PM
obviously i was giving it the 'you lot dont know you were born' pish, 'it was rid blaes in my day' and all that :lol:
:lol:

Kids love that.

Given the advances in the technology, there's no reason it shouldn't be considered as a real option for teams without the resources to maintain a grass pitch through the winter. I'd always rather see us playing on grass at CP, though. Because I am a purist, and old, and a snob.

Wailer
Member Avatar
I and I say, YEH man.
How much does a full size 4G pitch cost?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Celtic Football Club Discussion Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply