Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Kerrydale Street. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

If you decide to register, please be aware that we don't accept email addresses from free web accounts like gmail, Hotmail, live.co.uk etc. Sorry, but almost all of the abuse and spam that we get is from free web accounts. The software on the forum will automatically block any requests using a free email account.

Upon Registration, you will be given access to all our varied Forums, and you will be expected to comply with our fairly stringent Rules and Regulations. Meantime, enjoy your visit

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Vila-real CF 2014/2015; VR 0-1 Barça // VR v Celtic fundraiser 3rd Sep, Info pg51-52
Topic Started: 4 Jan 2013, 01:08 AM (65,060 Views)
groguet
Member Avatar
AKA Vil@-re@l
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Hello everybody,
first of all I would like to wish all of you a very happy new year. Let's hope it's a good one for Celtic -I think it will be, because unless things go very wrong, I cannot see any other team winning this season's SPL title and furthermore, the team has done well in Europe so far and I trust Celtic may beat Juventus if they do their best and get a good score at Celtic Park. Also, and as stated many times before, I'd like to thank you for letting me post about my team here and put up with all my comments, and apologize -especially to the moderators- if I have caused any trouble over here.

2012 has been a truly awful year for Vila-real, clearly the worst over recent years. It started with us in relegation zone, 18th, only one or two points to get out of it, but it was a clear sign that things weren't going well at all. Some people said at the beginning of the season that our squad was a bit worse than in the previous seasons – probably it was true. Some very important players, especially Cazorla, had left, and the players the club had bought to replace them weren't considered as good. Still, most fans, or almost all, didn't expect things to go that wrong. And still today, I'd say we don't really know what happened. I think it was a mix of many things: those new players -and also others who had already been in the club for some years- didn't play at their best at all and didn't look too committed with the team. Also, the squad didn't have a good relationship with Garrido, the manager we had at the beginning of the season and who was sacked at Xmas break, after being knocked out of the Spanish Cup by a 2ndB division team in our own stadium. But nor Molina, nor Lotina -yes, we had two more managers in the rest of the season, so I think that says it all- could find the way to make things work and make the team win a good amount of matches. Sometimes we looked like recovering, winning 2-3 matches and being in the middle of the table, but then we lost 2-3 more and came back where we were. I think we were one of the few teams, if not the only one, who achieved not to lose against Barça (0-0) nor Madrid (1-1) at home and playing good matches against them. But then you got 2-1 defeats at home against Getafe, or 4-0 to Mallorca away. Also, we weren't lucky at all. Unlucky with injuries, since we had always 1, 2 or even three players off for every match for some reason, usually small injuries, and also our most important striker, Giuseppe Rossi, got severely injured in October, had surgery, and in April, when we was set to play again, he suffered a relapse of the same injury and so didn't play anymore in the rest of the season, and hasn't played yet -he is supposed to be able to play about March, but most probably it won't be in Vila-real since, according to very recent news, he could be set to sign for Fiorentina during the next days or even hours-. But we were especially unlucky with goals in last minutes of the matches. If matches would finish at 80th-85th minute instead of at 90th minute plus added time, we would have had about 15 more points at the end of the season without exaggerating.
And the final day, the fateful day where we got relegated was the living image of what all season had been like. Against Atlético Madrid at home, we only needed one point to be safe. Even with a loss we could stay up, unless both Zaragoza -who were playing against Getafe, who were playing for nothing- and Rayo Vallecano -who were playing Granada and those were also playing to avoid relegation- won their matches. It wasn't a too good match by Vila-real. We didn't have much chances and neither did Atletico Madrid. You could feel the tension in the atmosphere. When there were only five minutes to go, Falcao made it 1-0 for Atletico. Zaragoza were winning their match but the 0-0 between Rayo and Granada still made us stay up. But only one minute after Atletico's goal, Rayo made it 1-0. We were then in 2nd division. There were about 5 minutes left, and in added time, we had an unbelievable chance to score the equaliser which would have saved us, but Marco Ruben's header went just half an inch off the post. It was not ever to be. It felt like if, somehow, it was written in the destiny that we had to be relegated.
And even still today, I sometimes can't really believe all that happened. But it did, and we're now in 2nd division. And no, things are not half as easy as many Vila-real fans thought they would be. Some fans thought we would win every single match in 2nd division 3-0 and that by the end of the year we would be virtually promoted – far, very far from that. We started winning first matches of the season even though not playing great football, but little by little, the team has shown they still don't have a style of playing and that's reflected in the scores and so in the table. At the moment, after 19 matches, we have won 8, drawn 7 and lost 4, have scored 23 goals and conceded 15, we have 31 points and we sit 5th in the table. That 5th would give us at the moment a place to play the promotion play-off: 3rd plays against 6th and 4th against 5th in a two-ties heat, and then the winners of each play each other, also two legs. 1st and 2nd are promoted directly. According to the board, the goal is to promote directly, and at this very moment, we're far from that. We're 6 points behind Girona, the team who sits 2nd, which probably is not an impossible distance, but it's not that: it's the way the team plays that doesn't make you think we can reach that place unless something changes. And we are 14 points behind Elx, 1st in the table – so I don't even think in reaching that place. The thing is that at this moment, I think it's more likely that we go even outside promotion play-off places -we're only 1 point above the team in the 7th place- than approach to direct promotion places. Julio Velázquez, our young manager, who is 30 years old and who was Vila-real B's manager last season and did a good work with them, isn't a bad manager, but I think this goal is too much for him, and I see he doesn't find the way to make the team work well and I think he can't handle the situation. Actually Velázquez was designed as the first team's manager after Manolo Preciado, a much more experienced Spanish manager who made several teams promote from 2nd to 1st division, was found dead just one day after Vila-real announced he had been chosen as our new manager. Extremely shocking and very sad news to say the least were these. Well, Velázquez was nearly fired in December after some bad scores but he's still in charge of the team so far. We play the first match of the year this Saturday, at home, against Barcelona B, who are only 2 points behind us. I think that match will tell a lot about Velázquez's future as Vila-real manager and about Vila-real's future in 2nd division. Obviously, as a Vila-real fan, I want nothing else but my team doing well and promoting at the end of the season, but if I have to be honest, right now I can't see that happening.
Still, I think things can't go worse for us than they did in 2012, so let's hope the new year eventually brings some changes, some luck, and some happy days for Vila-real.

Thank you very much to those who have read all this.
HAIL HAIL!
Edited by groguet, 4 Jan 2013, 01:20 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Norman Stanley Fletcher
Member Avatar
I read a book once. Green it was.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Happy new year to you, hope 2013 is a better year for Vila-real :thumbsup:

Albert Ein-Jock-Stein
Member Avatar
Four most important men in Celtic history: Walfrid, Maley, Stein and McCann.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I wish you and your family the very best ahead of 2013. As for Vila-real, I admire your club's emergence as a relative force in both Spanish and European football over the past decade. Having met some of your fellow supporters at Celtic Park, you appear to be some of the warmest fans I've ever come across. I sincerely hope you perform well enough in the 2nd half of the season to gain promotion back to your rightful place in La Liga. Much appreciation for your respectful and flattering comments about Celtic also. Hail Hail comrade.

Bawman
Member Avatar
Class is permanent.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I always enjoy these updates. Keep them coming.

Bob Loblaw
Member Avatar
Retired and now a Setanta pundit
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bit shampooe Rossi is leaving, I thought he'd stay and try to get you promoted.

I suppose Fiorentina are taking a big risk though.

samscafeamericain
Member Avatar
Considering retirement
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Feliz Año Nuevo and the very best of luck to Vila-Real

Conbelfast67
Member Avatar
First-team captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
great post :thumbsup:

missed you're wee vila-real rants groguet :lol:

hope this year is a good one...hail hail :potm:

OverAndOver
Member Avatar
You stay classy, San Diego
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
all the best for the rest of this season - hope things go well for you

and remember as long as you make friends along the way playing in the lower leagues that is all that really matters - right ;)

Rien_que_travail
Member Avatar
Occasional Substitute
[ *  *  *  * ]
All the best to you and your family, as well as Villa Real for 2013.

It is always very refreshing and instructive to hear a fan's perspective on international football topics rather than just rely on the meagre and /or jaundiced view of the mainstream media.

Please keep the updates coming.

groguet
Member Avatar
AKA Vil@-re@l
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Albert Ein-Jock-Stein
4 Jan 2013, 01:29 AM
I wish you and your family the very best ahead of 2013. As for Vila-real, I admire your club's emergence as a relative force in both Spanish and European football over the past decade. Having met some of your fellow supporters at Celtic Park, you appear to be some of the warmest fans I've ever come across. I sincerely hope you perform well enough in the 2nd half of the season to gain promotion back to your rightful place in La Liga. Much appreciation for your respectful and flattering comments about Celtic also. Hail Hail comrade.
Thanks for your compliments. To be honest I'm not one of those who would say Vila-real fans are the best of the world nor anything like that, but well, it's my team and I will support it whether in 1st or in 3rd division. It's quite clear not everybody thinks the same though - these last seasons in 1st division the attendance in our stadium for regular league matches was about 17-18,000. This season, in 2nd division, it's no more than 10,000. But well, I suppose I prefer 10,000 real fans than 18,000 with almost half of them being those who are in fact Barça or Madrid fans and who just went to El Madrigal to see some football.
Thanks and good luck to Celtic aswell. :thumbsup:

groguet
Member Avatar
AKA Vil@-re@l
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Bob Loblaw
4 Jan 2013, 03:21 AM
Bit shampooe Rossi is leaving, I thought he'd stay and try to get you promoted.

I suppose Fiorentina are taking a big risk though.

It's not official yet but it seems it will be very soon.
Fans are quite disappointed at this for several reasons - first, Vila-real chairman kind of 'promised' at the beginning of the season that Rossi would stay at least until the end of the season to help the team in the last stage of the league and it looks it's not going to be so. And moreover, having him injured in the team for more than a year and then see him go when it's only a couple of months left until he will be able to set foot on the pitch again sounds kind of frustrating.
Anyway, it's also true that you don't know how a player will react when playing again after having been injured for more than a season, but well - if Fiorentina eventually sign him, that will be them taking the risk as you say.
Edited by groguet, 4 Jan 2013, 12:19 PM.

the_cannelloni_of_charisma
Everyone's Fantasy Football first pick
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I hope Villarreal are able to put a run together and beat the teams above them to 2nd place. Toppling Elche at the top might prove a difficult task. I always look out for your teams results every week and good luck for the rest of the season.

It is a big game on Saturday against Barcelona II who are on a decent run, they have drawn with the top 3 teams in their last 3 games. Im taking it that if Barca finish in the top 6 then the last play off place is determined by who finishes 7th?

groguet
Member Avatar
AKA Vil@-re@l
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
the_cannelloni_of_charisma
4 Jan 2013, 12:10 PM
I hope Villarreal are able to put a run together and beat the teams above them to 2nd place. Toppling Elche at the top might prove a difficult task. I always look out for your teams results every week and good luck for the rest of the season.

It is a big game on Saturday against Barcelona II who are on a decent run, they have drawn with the top 3 teams in their last 3 games. Im taking it that if Barca finish in the top 6 then the last play off place is determined by who finishes 7th?
Yes, that's it - as 'B' teams can't promote any higher than 2nd division (or the division below where their first team is) that play-off place would be for the team sitting 7th.
Thanks for you comments everybody. :thumbsup:

Snudge67
Member Avatar
First team training
[ *  *  * ]
Disappointing that Rossi is for the off. Buena Suerte!

groguet
Member Avatar
AKA Vil@-re@l
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Well, it's official now.
"Agreement in principle for Rossi's transfer to AFC Fiorentina"
Link (in Spanish): http://villarrealcf.es/es/noticias/actualidad-villarreal-cf/item/1515-principio-de-acuerdo-para-el-traspaso-de-rossi-a-la-acf-fiorentina

groguet
Member Avatar
AKA Vil@-re@l
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
groguet
4 Jan 2013, 06:45 PM
Well, it's official now.
"Agreement in principle for Rossi's transfer to AFC Fiorentina"
Link (in Spanish): http://villarrealcf.es/es/noticias/actualidad-villarreal-cf/item/1515-principio-de-acuerdo-para-el-traspaso-de-rossi-a-la-acf-fiorentina
Link in English:
Villarreal CF and ACF Fiorentina come to an agreement to transfer Rossi
http://english.villarrealcf.es/noticias/portada/item/327-villarreal-cf-and-acf-fiorentina-come-to-an-agreement-to-transfer-rossi

hector2012
Member Avatar
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Happy New Year and nice to hear from you once again.

Lawman
Member Avatar
Budapest's Green &White
[ *  *  *  * ]
All the best for 2013 to our friends at Villarreal

Big_Bobo_Balde
Member Avatar
Lizzie's Lothario

Lawman
5 Jan 2013, 07:34 PM
All the best for 2013 to our friends at Villarreal
This, best place I have seen Celtic play at, amazing reception at the Town Hall / centre (I Guess) I must admit to being to being a tad suspect about the visit, but would have gladly stayed in Vila-real than Valencia, I'm sure it will happen again.

Celtic Joe
Member Avatar
Occasional Substitute
[ *  *  *  * ]
Good wishes for 2013.
Do you want Miku? :ph43r:

2 users reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Members: gary1888
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Celtic Football Club Discussion Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply