Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Kerrydale Street. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

If you decide to register, please be aware that we don't accept email addresses from free web accounts like gmail, Hotmail, live.co.uk etc. Sorry, but almost all of the abuse and spam that we get is from free web accounts. The software on the forum will automatically block any requests using a free email account.

Upon Registration, you will be given access to all our varied Forums, and you will be expected to comply with our fairly stringent Rules and Regulations. Meantime, enjoy your visit

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Celtic Wiki Book of the Year 2012 - VOTE NOW; Link To Poll - Page 3.
Topic Started: 24 May 2012, 09:32 PM (11,904 Views)
TheHumanTorpedo
Member Avatar
I came back

The Celtic Wiki Book of the Year Award 2012 will be up and running soon. This thread will be used for reviews and discussions on all the Celtic related books released in the year.

The Road To Lisbon

Posted Image

Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by TheHumanTorpedo, 24 May 2012, 09:57 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

TheHumanTorpedo
Member Avatar
I came back

Celtic - A Biography In Nine Lives

Posted Image

Edited by TheHumanTorpedo, 24 May 2012, 10:03 PM.

joebloggscity
Member Avatar
For the Glory of the Green
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Playing for the LostBhoys 3

It's becoming as important an annual purchase as The Wee Green Book at the start of every new season and the Broons annual at Xmas.

This book is a wonderful collection of all the blogs, articles, notes and events from the past season on the popular and highly respected "LostBhoys" site.

Again if you want to get a true feel of how the past season has been, then there is little to better it. More than just a videprinter of results and stats, this is a feel for the season that has gone by for on the pitch, on the terraces, in the boardman, on line, in the pub and everywhere Celtic related.

Can easily be read in bits & bobs whenever you please.

Highly recommended.

Posted Image
Edited by joebloggscity, 25 May 2012, 02:29 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

joebloggscity
Member Avatar
Celtic in the 1980s: The Lost Decade

Into the digital age of media, physical books may become the minority, and reading/buying books in digital format is possibly (whether regrettably or not) a large part of the future. "Celtic in the 1980s: The Lost Decade" is not the first Celtic ebook but it is one of the first complete books to be actually published on Amazon.co.uk for sale in ebook format only. In that sense, this book could inspire other writers-to-be to write books on the club in their bedroom to be easily published on Amazon or Lulu.com and the like. This book is very cheap, and at just £2.05 (the official full price) you will see supporters jump over from physical to digital quite readily.

As for the book, the author, Sean Huddleston, has written on an era making a salient point which is that surprisingly there has been little written on the decade despite some great moments of success during it. In isolation, the 85-86 and 87-88 seasons have been written about extensively themselves but not really the era as a whole. This book goes towards partially rectifying this oversight.

First things first. The author really needs to get a new proof reader and/or editor. The number of spelling, grammar and punctuation errors are so numerous it's just unacceptable. It's impossible to pass without comment. It spoils the book unnecessarily and it can be quite infuriating as you attempt to get through it. Amazingly his biog on Amazon says he is a school teacher, so that's 5 of the belt on the hand for this.

Anyhow, the book goes through the seasons chronologically giving a swift run through the seasons with a summary of the team's progress. As this was a fairly competitive time in Scotland, then it should be quite interesting. The result in this book is quite mixed.

The season write ups are done almost as if you are reading a BBC videprinter on a Saturday afternoon as the scores come in. A lot more could be said of the matches which is disappointing. There were a lot of good games in those seasons even in many games in which we lost. Aberdeen, and Dundee Utd had made some great headway in Europe, and so matches against them had become as important as matches against the huns. You'd hardly think so if you read this book.

HOWEVER, the author does manage to add in various anecdotes, references and notes at points which helps to give this book a certain weight and is a refresher for those who have forgotten much from back then. He does work at helping to convey the general condition and consensus of the club and the support in those seasons, which is much to his credit. Yet at the end it does seem to come up short on providing any definitive conclusion and give an answer to the question of why it was a Lost Decade. The reader can concote their own opinion from the brief information in the chapters, but it would have been more interesting if the author was able to elaborate more on events and issues than he does. Some points may even baffle, for example I don't see Mo Johnston now being given any 'deference' by the support as the author states at one point.

It can be churlish to quibble over the book taking in its minimal price, but as it's published and for sale then you have to show it the courtesy of an honest review no matter the price. In that sense, I'm sorry to be negative on the book. It is in part a lost opportunity but hopefully it can pass on the baton to someone else who will take some inspiration from this and can build on what has been written here on the period.

I still will look forward to the author's next works, but hope he can rectify in the next books some of the issues with this one. He had at least the originality to write on a period which most other authors seemed to have passed over.

Overall, I'm disappointed with this book. Hoped for better. There definitely is a lot to say on the period and its impact on the history of the club. This book though ends up well short.

Posted Image

joebloggscity
Member Avatar
The Sevenpenny Gate: A Lifelong Love Affair with Celtic FC

(strictly last year but was released late last year)....

Posted Image

Quote:

Product Description
'Clutching in my hand my seven copper pennies, I ran down the two flights of stone stairs from our tenement flat and through the East End to Kinloch Street, where, puffing a bit, I joined the queue of other wee boys lining up to place their coins on the brass plate above the iron turnstile, push hard against it, then climb up onto the dirt terracing and into Paradise. The rest of the world called it Celtic Park.'

This is a story seen through green-and-white spectacles. It begins when nine-year-old Glaswegian John Cairney walks through the boys' gate at Celtic Park and embarks on a series of adventures that, over the years, take him all over Scotland and beyond.

The Sevenpenny Gate is about a search for heroes, Celtic heroes. It is also the tale of an East End club of humble Irish origins that has developed into a worldwide brand and continues to command the devotion of its fans, even with the Celtic diaspora now spread across the globe.

We need a review for the wiki, so if anyone has read it and done a review then paste it here in this thread and i'll post it to the wiki.

thx in advance.
Edited by joebloggscity, 26 May 2012, 01:56 PM.

OzBhoy
Member Avatar
Club Captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Just started reading "A Biography in Nine Lives". Started the second chapter, "Willie Maley"

Enjoying immensly so far and will let you know my feedback, when I'm done :thumbsup:

joebloggscity
Member Avatar
We Walked Away With It (2012)

Posted Image

Synopsis
The 2011/12 SPL season is one that will never be forgotten. Amidst the financial, contractual and legal procedures that threatened to overshadow the on-field action, many pundits declared the league race over by early November. However, a 17 match winning run turned the title race on its head with Neil Lennon seizing his first championship as manager. From 15 points behind to clinching the championship before the split, Celtic walked away with it.

Review
(Need a review for the wiki, anyone?)

Ned Rise
Member Avatar
These boots were made for hunbustin'
TheHumanTorpedo
24 May 2012, 09:32 PM
The Celtic Wiki Book of the Year Award 2012 will be up and running soon. This thread will be used for reviews and discussions on all the Celtic related books released in the year.

The Road To Lisbon

Posted Image

Promo vid for this book...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OcQf--gmRPg
Edited by Ned Rise, 31 May 2012, 11:56 AM.

joebloggscity
Member Avatar
From Seville to Sevilla: The Story of Celtic's 2003/04 Season by Krys Kujawa

Posted Image

Synopsis
This book charts season 2003/04, as Celtic went on a quest to regain the Scottish Premier League title that had been lost in the cruelest of circumstances.

From the pre-season games in Sweden, England and the United States of America, to a Champions League campaign which would see Celtic come within minutes of reaching the knockout stages before ultimately dropping into the UEFA Cup where they would record arguably one of their greatest European results in a generation.

Through a record breaking league run, a domestic double, and a series of victories over their Glasgow rivals, read how Celtic put themselves back on top - before bidding a final farewell to their talismanic striker from Sweden, Henrik Larsson.

Through every match of the 2003/04 season, as well as the comings and goings between matches, relive the many highs of a terrific period of Celtic's history through the eyes of the people who were there - players, managers, and supporters alike.

Review
Review needed - Anyone able to help?

remy mcswain
Member Avatar
A heartless man at best
Is there a chapter on pylons in it?

joebloggscity
Member Avatar
Updated and sorted out (90%) of the books section on the wiki

Celtic Books:
http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/If+You+Know+The+History

Biogs
http://www.thecelticwiki.com/page/Books+-+Manager+and+Player+Biogs

Hope we can fill this up over time.

Anyone got any reviews for any books that don't have any then paste them in there, or in this thread and we're more than willing to assist.

joebloggscity
Member Avatar
Poles 'N' Goals and Hesselink (2012)

Posted Image

Synopsis
"Convention is something we do in Las Vegas" Join Paul Larkin on a journey through the decades where he starts his life as a schemie in Muirhoose and ends up a schemie in New York. How did that happen then?

It's Celtic through the ages and there are goals,pills, thrills and bellyaches along the way and don't be surprised if you want to cross the street to avoid him by the time you've read this...

Review
Review needed - Anyone able to help? (It's a short book....)

kevtic
Member Avatar
Get Down, Deeper and Down

joebloggscity
2 Jun 2012, 05:22 PM
Poles 'N' Goals and Hesselink (2012)

Posted Image

Synopsis
"Convention is something we do in Las Vegas" Join Paul Larkin on a journey through the decades where he starts his life as a schemie in Muirhoose and ends up a schemie in New York. How did that happen then?

It's Celtic through the ages and there are goals,pills, thrills and bellyaches along the way and don't be surprised if you want to cross the street to avoid him by the time you've read this...

Review
Review needed - Anyone able to help? (It's a short book....)
I've done one just never got to posting it. Will see what i can do tomorrow :thumbsup:

kevtic
Member Avatar
Get Down, Deeper and Down

Paul Larkin - Poles 'N' Goals and Hesselink

Firstly let me apologise to Paul who kindly sent me a copy of his book to review back in the mists of time when I think it was the Blue Knights who were in the driving seat at Mordor. Now after a number of other bidders have come and gone Iíve finally got round to finally reviewing the book.

Now after the apology I have to say Paul Larkin is a bastard. I'll explain why in a minute but it's not in a John Greig type way.

PG&H isnít your typical football book with a myriad of research and facts to keep the stattos interested. It is more about a fan writing for fans and telling a story that many of us will recognise. This book has more of a fanzine feel to it and when I contacted Paul about the book he said this was what he was looking for. With the opportunity for just about anyone to write and publish a book these days I think more of this type of story will start to appear and Krys Kujawaís book above confirms more people are taking advantage of this option. Like the many Celtic forums and websites this also seems to be something else Celtic fans are leading the way on.

PG&H falls into 3 parts. The first part is about Celtic in season 89/90, Part two is contributors talking about their favourite Celtic goal and the final part is mainly about Jan Vennegoorís contribution to Celtic in the 07/08. Parts one and three are also set against Paulís life outside football which took him from Edinburgh to New York.

So onto the book itself and the reason Paul is a bastard. The reason Paul is a bastard is that he opened up memories or more specifically nightmares that I had long since shut away in the deepest darkest recesses of my mind and brought back the horror of being a Celtic fan for the majority of the 90s. He does do it in a rather humorous way though and tells the story intertwined with him growing up as 15 year old in Edinburgh. It does get a bit Trainspotting in places but that's not a criticism and the book contains some industrial language, so if easily offended then this really isn't for you. To remind you the 89/90 season was the season after we stopped the huns winning back to back trebles with Joe Miller taking advantage of the 'stolen' throw in. It was also the season that Judas signed for the hun. :boik: A treacherous act that took us years to recover from. The Poles of the title are of course are Dariusz Dziekanowski who was signed in Judas's place and was later joined by countryman Dariusz Wdowczyk or Shuggie as he was known to his pals. We also signed Mikey Mikey Galloway (shiver) that season.

Paul regales us with trips round Europe and kindly gives us some tips on Europe's red light districts of which he seems to have visited many while following the hoops over the years. In 89 it was his first red light trip to Munich and also the first round of the Cup Winners Cup and Celtic had drawn Partizan Belgrade. Those old enough to remember will have that name forever etched into their minds after 5-4 return leg win with Dziekanowski scoring 4 but going out on away goals. See what I mean about nightmares.

I won't bore you with the actual match details but suffice to say 89/90 season wasnít great , in fact , after a good start, well August was ok, it became a total disaster. We finished 5th, 17 pts behind the huns. You've no idea how grateful I am that KDS wasn't around in the 90s. There was the odd highlight. Beating Rangers on our way to the Scottish Cup final which we promptly lost on pens to Aberdeen after Anton Rogan missed. All in all a season to forget which became a mantra for the 90s.

One of the interesting things Paul has done in the book is hand over writing duties to friends to explain other areas relevant to the time. This is done to good effect when Mark O'Neill writes about Italia 90 and Scotland's part in it and then Alan Hosey gives us the story of the Wallace Mercer attempt to take over Hibs from a Hibs fan's perspective. Itís very easy to get insular about your own club and I found these pieces very entertaining and provided an insight into how others view us and their own teams.

The 2nd part of this book is the goals part and is basically just a lot of Paul's friends and/or acquaintances talking about their favourite goal. This part didn't really work for me. Some faintly interesting stories but I found myself skimming through this part fairly quickly and only stopping when a particular goal I remembered was mentioned. It broke up the flow of the book for me and could easily have done without it. It almost felt like a competition to find the most obscure goal to choose.

Part 3 of the book is a little misleading about being a chapter about Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink's contribution to Celtic. It is really more about the influence of the two goals he scored in season 07/08 against the huns and the tile winning goal at Tannadcice. The chapter starts off with season 05/06, Strachanís first season and there are 8 pages by Hearts fan Paul O'Neill talking about Mad Vladís influence at Tynecastle and remembering the Burley season (or half a season) Again, interesting background and it's always funny to read about Hearts feckin things up. Thereís also an excellent piece by Kenny Miller of the Sunday Post about the return of ex-Celt John Collins to Easter Road and how the players stabbed him in the back despite them winning the League Cup. Paul himself has moved to New York in late 2006 after a few holidays had seen him fall in love with the place. There are plenty of stories about his adventures in New York when football almost became sidelined. Iím sure there has been some artistic licence used here but it sounded like great fun either way. On the football side he does write extensively on the 07/08 CL campaign which started with the penalty shoot out victory against Spartak Moscow before the group stage involving Shaktar, Benfica and AC Milan. Along with fondly remembering last minute goals against Milan and Shaktar we are also reminded we started the away game in Lisbon with Chris Killen as a lone striker. Sadly this was also the season we lost Phil OíDonnell and Tommy Burns. John Paul Taylor provides a few tales of TBís day at CP that shows the kind of man he was. Not that we needed reminding. Of course we know how this extended season that wasnít extended finally ended and again Paul passes over writing duties to someone who was at Tannadice to tell the tale of that glorious Thursday night before Paul finishes with a few paragraphs on how he viewed it watching from afar.

Overall, despite the horrors relived in part 1, I enjoyed this book once I got into the writing style. I wouldnít have missed the favourite goals section if it wasnít there and maybe others will like this bit but it felt a bit like filler to me. I very much liked the majority of outside contributions in the other sections though and if the quality of these contributions is sustained Iíd be more than happy to see these in any future books by Paul. As I said earlier PG&H isnít your typical Celtic book and Iím sure will not appeal to all fans but I think many of us will identify with the author especially if you were around to suffer the 90s.

7.5/10

joebloggscity
Member Avatar
Inside the Divide: One City, Two Teams ... The Old Firm

Posted Image

Product Description
Since 1888, Rangers and Celtic football clubs have been locked into an intense and frequently explosive rivalry: Rangers the product of West Scotland's Protestant establishment, Celtic the team founded to raise money for the Catholic underclass of Glasgow. On 2 January 2010 the two teams met in the Old Firm's New Year Derby, a fixture that had been banned for ten years because of the trouble it brought with it. Richard Wilson puts that game at the centre of a book which delves into the history and widens out to the cultural resonance of the fixture within Scotland.

Starting as the fans begin to arrive in Glasgow, and ending as the long night following the match stretches out ahead, Wilson talks to the fans, the players, the backroom staff, the referee, the ferry staff, the stewards and the paramedics to create a panoramic view of a cultural institution. It addresses the role football plays in working-class life, the social aspects of the game and why it is part of its surroundings in a way that no other sport is. Inside the Divide is more than just another football book.

A rich mix of close-up observation and big-picture thinking, it has the insight, understanding and depth to make it a modern classic.

About the Author Richard Wilson was born in Glasgow and spent almost 10 years at the Sunday Times Scotland, as deputy sports editor, then staff sports writer. In 2002, he won the Jim Rodger Memorial Award for best young sports writer. In 2003, at the Scottish Press Awards, he was named Sports Writer of the Year. He has regularly been nominated in the Sports Feature Writer of the Year category. He has written extensively about football, boxing and golf, as well as covering most other sports.

Review
Review needed - Anyone able to help?

joebloggscity
Member Avatar
FREE Celtic Book this weekend

see: http://t.co/1Npri8NJ

The TCN

Free Ebook For Everyone who visits TCN this weekend
Jun 162012

As most of you are aware i released an ebook covering the first season of TCN and Celticís championship win. The idea of the book was to raise money for our four Celtic charities we sponsor. Unfortunately we have only sold 4 raising about £10 to be split between the four Charities. So Iíve decided to make it available for free.

You can Download it by clicking on the Adobe image at the side of the page.When the link opens just click the download icon at the bottom of the page and it will download into you pc.

In a final attempt to raise money for the charities if you feel the book was worth a read you can leave a donation by clicking on out PayPal donate button on the front page and we will pass any donations on to the Charities and publish proof of donations on the site.

The charities benefiting are listed http://www.thecelticnetwork.com/good-causes/

Cheers Jas.

joebloggscity
Member Avatar
We are Celtic Supporters (2011)

Posted Image

Quote:

Synopsis
In We Are Celtic Supporters Richard Purden examines what created the culture, ideas and beliefs around Celtic football club. In new and exclusive interviews with supporters, he explores the Celtic way of life and the rich traditions that give context to much of the support while deconstructing some myths along the way.

As a travelling supporter he visits a variety of fans in locations such as New York, Spain, Germany, Italy and various parts of the UK. He talks to well-known Celtic supporters such as James MacMillan about the often misrepresented Catholic roots, to Pat Nevin about why he fell out of love with the club and to a number of well-known rock 'n' rollers such as Noel Gallagher, Bobby Gillespie and Johnny Marr.

We Are Celtic Supporters gives the inside story of how major events in Celtic's history have shaped the identity of the fans, and what it really means to follow this unique football club.

Review

need one for the wiki, can anyone help?

joebloggscity
Member Avatar
From Seville to Sevilla: The Story of Celtic's 2003/04 Season by Krys Kujawa ("Psychoheart")

Posted Image

Synopsis
This book charts season 2003/04, as Celtic went on a quest to regain the Scottish Premier League title that had been lost in the cruelest of circumstances.

From the pre-season games in Sweden, England and the United States of America, to a Champions League campaign which would see Celtic come within minutes of reaching the knockout stages before ultimately dropping into the UEFA Cup where they would record arguably one of their greatest European results in a generation.

Through a record breaking league run, a domestic double, and a series of victories over their Glasgow rivals, read how Celtic put themselves back on top - before bidding a final farewell to their talismanic striker from Sweden, Henrik Larsson.

Through every match of the 2003/04 season, as well as the comings and goings between matches, relive the many highs of a terrific period of Celtic's history through the eyes of the people who were there - players, managers, and supporters alike.

Review
It's a big step up from writing short articles on sites like LostBhoys.com to a full book, but let's be honest it's a big ambition for most of their writers and that is where Kris Kujawa ("Psychoheart" on the forums) has taken the leap. He has already made a mark for himself online and on podcasts, so now he's went for the treble in print. So how was the result?

Firstly, the subject is well picked. This book details season 2003/04, which is also the best Martin O'Neil season in this reviewer's opinion. However, the season has been overshadowed unfairly by both the Seville season and the treble season in the minds of the supports. This book will hopefully help to readdress this situation.

Kris' book for the most part is a straight forward review of the season. He goes through every match and event chronologically (each chapter is a month in review), and summarises every game succinctly highlighting the main flashpoints. Interspersing each report with quotes and anecdotes, the level of detail is exceptionally well done and helped to even remind this reviewer of critical moments long gone. He really crams everything in like a tin of sardines. Recalling other past moments from previous seasons was an additional treat.

However, the style though has made it a very dry read, and verges at times as if reading a digested back catalogue of match reports from a broadsheet. At time I just skimmed over the line-ups and reports. Not necessarily wrong what he has done, but personally I want something else from a book. It can show lack of ambition or confidence but that's not something that I would have identified with Kris having read a number of his articles on various sites.

One of the great parts of the book is when he retells personal anecdotes from matches (e.g. the fan in the jumper story) but they're usually too short and too few. I think match report writing could have been curtailed for the personal notes. These bring out better the experiences of the long suffering supporter adding colour to the work. Possibly could have added more opinion on matters, for example after summarising the furore over Sutton's comments on Dunfermline from season 2002/03, I think Kris could have added some strong criticism or support on the issue. Each to their own I guess. Personal opinion seems to be in greater quantity later in the book. The epilogue is his own view and is one of the most enjoyable parts of the book, I liked reading his own opinion whether I necessarily agreed or not with him.

To give credit to the book, there are aspects added that give the book depth in detail, some of which that sections of the support can take or leave (or will love or hate if you prefer). For example, Kris has short write-ups on events surrounding the national side, which some will find interesting others superfluous (I could have lived without them). Most match reviews include line-ups and so on, which was a bit unnecessary but others again may like it.

One final point, for a season review I think an appendix of statistics for the season could have been included. That would have perfectly rounded off a book detailing the season, an is the only real significant omission from a book that otherwise itemises almost everything else in the season.

I liked the book, it's a good read. I look forward to his next works.

Enjoyable, and at least buy & read it to remind yourself of what a wonderful season it was.

Glorious_1967
Member Avatar
Club Captain
Has anyone read David Potters new book about Jimmy McMenemy?

joebloggscity
Member Avatar
Glorious_1967
15 Jul 2012, 02:36 PM
Has anyone read David Potters new book about Jimmy McMenemy?
Didn't even realised he'd written one on him, another one to buy... So many must buys this past year... Hell already must be around ten must buy Celtic book and it's only mid-July!!!! The Xmas rush of books to come also!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Celtic Football Club Discussion Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply