Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Kerrydale Street. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

If you decide to register, please be aware that we don't accept email addresses from free web accounts like gmail, Hotmail, live.co.uk etc. Sorry, but almost all of the abuse and spam that we get is from free web accounts. The software on the forum will automatically block any requests using a free email account.

Upon Registration, you will be given access to all our varied Forums, and you will be expected to comply with our fairly stringent Rules and Regulations. Meantime, enjoy your visit

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Closed
Charlie Mulgrew....; ....a shrewd signing?
Topic Started: 23 Jan 2011, 12:52 AM (38,201 Views)
renfrewbhoy
Member Avatar
Everyone's Fantasy Football first pick
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
????

A month ago I would have laughed at such a thread, as he had been shown up as a poor defensive left back, with a very good set piece delivery!

However, in recent weeks he has started to prove himself.

Against Rangers he was good in midfield, as well as chasing back to cover Izzy.

Today, when Dan was injured, I was worried when Mulgrew came on at centre half. However, he kept things simple and played football when it was on.

Clearances were good and his cool header to Forster near the end showed how calm he was (even if we weren't!!)

Obviously he has not been tested against a good forward line, but I think he has done enough in recent weeks to show that he has a role to play this season, and could prove to be a decent signing.

Thoughts?????????????
Offline Profile Goto Top

thejanitor
Member Avatar
First name on the team-sheet
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
good enough signing for what he is. free transfer lowish wages and can play in a variety of positions.
Offline Profile Goto Top

green hornet
Member Avatar
Considering retirement
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
renfrewbhoy
23 Jan 2011, 12:52 AM
????

A month ago I would have laughed at such a thread, as he had been shown up as a poor defensive left back, with a very good set piece delivery!

Today, when Dan was injured, I was worried when Mulgrew came on at centre half. However, he kept things simple and played football when it was on.

Clearances were good and his cool header to Forster near the end showed how calm he was (even if we weren't!!)

Obviously he has not been tested against a good forward line, but I think he has done enough in recent weeks to show that he has a role to play this season, and could prove to be a decent signing.

Thoughts?????????????
A bit disappointed in his delivery thought it might be better from set pieces . did ok today and as long as he is not at left back he seems to do ok
Offline Profile Goto Top

lubomirmoravcik
Member Avatar
Genius
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
renfrewbhoy
23 Jan 2011, 12:52 AM
????

Thoughts?????????????
He's not the disastrous signing he looked a month ago but I'd still not call it a shrewd signing. The best I can say is that he's not as useless as I thought he was ............ just don't play him at left back !
Offline Profile Goto Top

behan
Member Avatar
gtf
Never a full back. Ever.
Showed at Ibrox that for a free transfer he's a more than decent option playing on the left side of midfield though.

Today, he had a job to do and did it well under no great pressure. I'd never have him at centre back again if we could help it though.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Boabacca
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
I have no idea where football fans get this reputation for being fickle. :lol:
Offline Profile Goto Top

paulfg42
Member Avatar
Fiat justitia ruat caelum
Did well today but never a starter.
Offline Profile Goto Top

idyllwild

Decent squad player in our current situation, which I assume is what he was signed as. :thumbsup:
Offline Profile Goto Top

duffsticks
Member Avatar
The god of wits and twine
he's versatile enough to do a job for us. nothing more.
Offline Profile Goto Top

C J Thorpe
Member Avatar
Off treasure hunting in Holland
duffsticks
23 Jan 2011, 01:17 AM
he's versatile enough to do a job for us. nothing more.
A left sided Mark Wilson in a way. Good enough to have in the squad in the hope that we'll never have to rely on him too much.
Offline Profile Goto Top

CoyleBhoy
Member Avatar
Old, grumpy, in love
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Great deliverer of a ball into the box - as good as Beckham without the showbiz.

Ideal squad man. Did very well in the recent hun slaying.

Edited by CoyleBhoy, 23 Jan 2011, 01:24 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

frankebhoy
First name on the team-sheet
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
a valuable squad player who can come in and play a variety of positions.cost nowt.
great business.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Bittersweet Timphony
Member Avatar
The King.
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Decent cover for left mid, not a left back. Got a good delivery on him most of the time.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mikeybhoy77
Member Avatar
Club Captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Did well today.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lubo's Left Boot
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Whenever you sign a versatile player that can do a job....its a shrewd signing.
Fans have to understand that it takes time for players to mature and they need to be patience.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Glorious_1967
Member Avatar
Club Captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
An Aberdeen mate told me he was much better as CB than he was at LB for the Dons.
Was surprised about his accomplished skills on the ball, seems a quite good footballer.
Decent option to have for the midfield and, as it seems, for the CB position.
I'd rather have him on the field than Barry Robson.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Emeralds
Member Avatar
First-team captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Always good to have as naturally left sided player as Mulgrew in the squad.

Offline Profile Goto Top

renfrewbhoy
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Lubo's Left Boot
23 Jan 2011, 01:26 AM
Whenever you sign a versatile player that can do a job....its a shrewd signing.
Fans have to understand that it takes time for players to mature and they need to be patience.
I agree.

As long as you don't ask him to babysit!!!

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
Offline Profile Goto Top

casimiris
Member Avatar
First-team captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Didn't see the game but he did well in the huns game and more often than not his delivery of the ball from wide areas is the best at the club at the moment, added to his free kicks and corners. Not sure he is a left back but I think he is slowly adjusting to life in the first team at Parkhead which has maybe been a bit daunting for him and affected his confidence up till now. Hopefully he continues to settle in and becomes a useful addition to the squad.
Offline Profile Goto Top

raymondo84
Member Avatar
Occasional Substitute
[ *  *  *  * ]
Not Celtic class!!!

At the time (and now) I would rather have had Richie Forster(a hun joke signing) ahead of him or Mark Wilson!
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Celtic Football Club Discussion Forum · Next Topic »
Closed