Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Kerrydale Street. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

If you decide to register, please be aware that we don't accept email addresses from free web accounts like gmail, Hotmail, live.co.uk etc. Sorry, but almost all of the abuse and spam that we get is from free web accounts. The software on the forum will automatically block any requests using a free email account.

Upon Registration, you will be given access to all our varied Forums, and you will be expected to comply with our fairly stringent Rules and Regulations. Meantime, enjoy your visit

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Gorbals Glenties Celtic Supporters Club; Player of the Year Photo March 1966
Topic Started: 4 Dec 2010, 06:42 PM (14,561 Views)
briano
Member Avatar
Occasional Substitute
[ *  *  *  * ]
Tommobhoy
10 Feb 2013, 03:36 AM
I also understand that the Greenock Travel Club held the record for the largest supported club bus membership in the UK blowing the huns out the water, but I've worked in Glasgow for years and they get the impression that Paisley is a hun toon.
Believe me its the opposite, we've had the 2 Davy Hay buses, a bus from St.Peters club in Glenburn, one from the In Shot pub in the west end, one from the Wellington Bar, and a crowd of hoops from Gabriels Bar who make their own way to matches.
As for the huns, they have a bus from the Croft and Webster's dumps in the town and that's it, so Paisley's green n white ha ha

PS oops also forgot the buses that leave from the Wig and Pen, sorry bhoys
FFS how could you forget the Wiggy, remember Arthur got fined for his sign out on the pavement DOBS vCeltic Lol :worthy:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

FORELAND
First team training
[ *  *  * ]
The Gorbals Urchin
10 Feb 2013, 04:43 PM
st.anthony
10 Feb 2013, 04:08 PM
I go into Sharkeys in the Gorbals for a pint after work sometimes.

Anyone know if there was a bus from there ? I know way back there was one from the Clelland Bar round the corner but now long gone.
No bus from Sharkeys even when it was the Stage door most guys walk up to Brazen or
go up on the Evergreen bus.
Isa had opportunity to have bus twice.Evergreen needed a base and at one time Brazen lost its license. On both occassions she did not want the bus or its members/supporters. The later were too noisy and boisterous amd swore too much... the former were too much from Gweedore :clap:

The Gorbals Urchin
Member Avatar
Getting on a bit
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
FORELAND
11 Feb 2013, 11:55 AM
The Gorbals Urchin
st.anthony
10 Feb 2013, 04:08 PM
I go into Sharkeys in the Gorbals for a pint after work sometimes.

Anyone know if there was a bus from there ? I know way back there was one from the Clelland Bar round the corner but now long gone.
No bus from Sharkeys even when it was the Stage door most guys walk up to Brazen or
go up on the Evergreen bus.
Isa had opportunity to have bus twice.Evergreen needed a base and at one time Brazen lost its license. On both occassions she did not want the bus or its members/supporters. The later were too noisy and boisterous amd swore too much... the former were too much from Gweedore :clap:
Old Isa shes no Mother Theresa herself at times ,does Gerry McNee still frequent the
pub.

greenjedi
Member Avatar
Jedi Master
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
The Gorbals Urchin
11 Feb 2013, 12:01 PM
FORELAND
11 Feb 2013, 11:55 AM
The Gorbals Urchin

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Old Isa shes no Mother Theresa herself at times ,does Gerry McNee still frequent the
pub.
Oi, careful or I will defend my family honour

:arrr:

nakasboots
Member Avatar
Considering retirement
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
CaltonBhoy1967
12 Dec 2010, 11:16 PM
Yogi Bear
12 Dec 2010, 11:14 PM
CaltonBhoy1967
12 Dec 2010, 10:48 PM

Gave me a lift once in his Merc.
Always seemed friendly enough then again i wasn,t asking him for anything other than a clean glass.
Although the film "Ryan's Daughter" did spring to mind every time i met him.
Believe he had another pub in Monaghan.
He was originally fron Monaghan I believe.
Heard a few good stories about Derry tonight.

When he arrived from Monaghan, he lodged with my Grandparents in Thistle St before he sorted his digs.

He was a good boxer, and as noted after his Nationality change, he was outcast by a fair few.

As good a boxer as he was, he was apparently a bit cocky with it, (no surpises there) and one day when sparring with Peter Walsh, he hit Peter below the belt. Walsh set about him for this.

This led to a flare up, and George McDade offered a fight to Traynor and in Jack Burns boxing club Derry gave his minder a wedge for a side bet. McDade was giving Derry a doing when Derry backed off and stated they go upstairs as his bet was just for fun (or something along those lines)

It was a this point Peter Keenan grabbed Derry and told him to pick a window, as he was going through one.

It resulted in Sammy Doherty (Derry's manger) asking Jack Burns to 'go easy' on him and promised no longer would Derry act the goat.
From that day on Derry was as good as gold around his peers.

Another story told was that Charlie Gallagher ran a pub in the Gorbals, and he was a large softly spoken Irish man.
One night Traynor arrived at his (Gallaghers) pub, and accused him of stealing his punters.

Gallagher informed Traynor that most of his clientel had been drinking in his pub for almost 20 years, then to make his point grabbed Traynor by his tie, pulled him to the floor then pulled a large knife, drew it over Traynors throat and said, 'I do love that tie Derry, do you think if I cut your head from you neck I could get to keep it?' :lol:

Traynor left whiter than a ghost.

There where a few other stories, but I could hardly keep up with them all.

As far as the buses going to C.P.

Stokes (Glasgow Cross)? ran up to 6 on big games, Gallaghers and the Mearns had 2 each and Traynor one or two. :thumbsup:

Im sure there are many other stories I can round up, so any others I get I'll post!
Edited by nakasboots, 17 Feb 2013, 10:28 PM.

st.anthony
Member Avatar
Roamin' in the Gloamin'
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
nakasboots
17 Feb 2013, 10:27 PM
CaltonBhoy1967
Yogi Bear
12 Dec 2010, 11:14 PM

He was originally fron Monaghan I believe.

When he arrived from Monaghan, he lodged with my Grandparents in Thistle St before he sorted his digs.

He was a good boxer, and as noted after his Nationality change, he was outcast by a fair few.

As good a boxer as he was, he was apparently a bit cocky with it, (no surpises there) and one day when sparring with Peter Walsh, he hit Peter below the belt. Walsh set about him for this.

This led to a flare up, and George McDade offered a fight to Traynor and in Jack Burns boxing club Derry gave his minder a wedge for a side bet. McDade was giving Derry a doing when Derry backed off and stated they go upstairs as his bet was just for fun (or something along those lines)

It was a this point Peter Keenan grabbed Derry and told him to pick a window, as he was going through one.

It resulted in Sammy Doherty (Derry's manger) asking Jack Burns to 'go easy' on him and promised no longer would Derry act the goat.

Another story told was that Charlie Gallagher ran a pub in the Gorbals, and he was a large softly spoken Irish man.
One night Traynor arrived at his (Gallaghers) pub, and accused him of stealing his punters.

Gallagher informed Traynor that most of his clientel had been drinking in his pub for almost 20 years, then to make his point grabbed Traynor by his tie, pulled him to the floor then pulled a large knife, drew it over Traynors throat and said, 'I do love that tie Derry, do you think if I cut your head from you neck I could get to keep it?' :lol:

Stokes (Glasgow Cross)? ran up to 6 on big games, Gallaghers and the Mearns had 2 each and Traynor one or two. :thumbsup:

Im sure there are many other stories I can round up, so any others I get I'll post!
Took me a while to realise that was not THAT Charlie Gallagher :lol:

FORELAND
First team training
[ *  *  * ]
st.anthony
17 Feb 2013, 11:27 PM
nakasboots
17 Feb 2013, 10:27 PM
CaltonBhoy1967

Took me a while to realise that was not THAT Charlie Gallagher :lol:
interesting comments but can we please call him by his surname Treanor and not jabba traynor atg least.. pedantic.csc

fatboab
Member Avatar
Hey blue eyes.

thoroughly great read through this thread.

Do any of the Gorbals Bhoys remember the Crookit Bawbee on Kidston St?

My old man owned that pub in the early - mid 60's before opening a brand new pub on Shettleston Road.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone knew much about his first pub.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tammy
Youth team player
[ * ]
Got told a story about a pub called the Holly Tree it had a flat roof that collapsed with the amount of Celtic fans dancing on it, was the night we won the big cup

four-leaf-clover
Member Avatar
"Celtic!" he replied (with a smile)
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Posted Image

mcstaythegreat
First team training
[ *  *  * ]
four-leaf-clover
21 Jul 2014, 01:42 PM
Posted Image
Derry traynor is still living and is the referee,s representive for Scotland in the British boxing board of control.

yogi bear eleven
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Interesting poster.
Sure enough, the tickets cost a dollar??? 25p.

Regarding the (Coatbridge) Shamrock Accordion Band, the band secretary from 1967 is still alive.
According to him he approach Paradise before Celtic had made it to the European Cup Final in Lisbon.
A meeting was set up at Celtic Park with Robert Kelly.
Yer man from the Shamrock Band made his case to Robert Kelly.
In the event of Celtic winning the cup with the big ears, the Shamrock would like the honour of leading the team around Celtic Park.
The band would play Hail Hail, the Celts are Here and nothing else.
Total cost, two cans of beer each and their bus fare home.
"well i've one more person to see regarding this" says Robert Kelly.

Outside his office was a rep from the City of Glasgow Police Pipe Band.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Celtic Football Club Discussion Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply