Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Kerrydale Street. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

If you decide to register, please be aware that we don't accept email addresses from free web accounts like gmail, Hotmail, live.co.uk etc. Sorry, but almost all of the abuse and spam that we get is from free web accounts. The software on the forum will automatically block any requests using a free email account.

Upon Registration, you will be given access to all our varied Forums, and you will be expected to comply with our fairly stringent Rules and Regulations. Meantime, enjoy your visit

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Gorbals Glenties Celtic Supporters Club; Player of the Year Photo March 1966
Topic Started: 4 Dec 2010, 06:42 PM (15,029 Views)
camilo torres
Member Avatar
First team training
[ *  *  * ]
Found this photo recently. Inscription on the back says it was the Glenties Celtic Supporters Club player of the year award March 1966 held in a hall in the Gorbals. Charlie Tully presents Billy McNeill with his award.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have any information on this Supporters Club?

Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Broadsword
Member Avatar
Can I have 12 bottles of bleach please?
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Good straight forward haircuts.

Team day out to Stupart obviously. Nae shampooe.

TheHumanTorpedo
Member Avatar
I came back

Great picture.

Glenties CSC :hmmm: I bet they were always trying to steal the Limelight :dadumchhh: (obscure Donegal joke)

CaltonBhoy1967
Member Avatar
"McGrory of Arsenal just never sounded as good as McGrory of Celtic."
camilo torres
4 Dec 2010, 06:42 PM
Found this photo recently. Inscription on the back says it was the Glenties Celtic Supporters Club player of the year award March 1966 held in a hall in the Gorbals. Charlie Tully presents Billy McNeill with his award.

Posted Image

Iirc Glenties CSC was on the go a long time in The Gorbals - At one time it ran from Hughie Gallagher's Govanhill Bar in Thistle Street and then from The Blarney Stone which was Gus Seil's boozer.

Think it may be the James Stokes CSC from The Brazen Head nowadays but not 100% on that.

Anyways - L to R - Charlie Gallagher,Bobby Murdoch,?(behind Cesar),Billy McNeill,Jim Kennedy,John Cushley,Charles Patrick himself, Thomas"Stevie"Chalmers,John Clark and Bob Kelly.
Edited by CaltonBhoy1967, 4 Dec 2010, 07:57 PM.

camilo torres
Member Avatar
First team training
[ *  *  * ]
CaltonBhoy1967
4 Dec 2010, 07:50 PM
Iirc Glenties CSC was on the go a long time in The Gorbals - At one time it ran from Hughie Gallagher's Govanhill Bar in Thistle Street and then from The Blarney Stone which was Gus Seil's boozer.

Think it may be the James Stokes CSC from The Brazen Head nowadays but not 100% on that.

Anyways - L to R - Charlie Gallagher,Bobby Murdoch,?(behind Cesar),Billy McNeill,Jim Kennedy,John Cushley,Charles Patrick himself, Thomas"Stevie"Chalmers,John Clark and Bob Kelly.
Thank you :thumbsup:

My mother lived in Florence Street, Gorbals across the road from the Moy Bar which I believe Charlie Tully used to own back in the day. I was just wondering if there was any connection to the Moy. Cheers for the info.

camilo torres
Member Avatar
First team training
[ *  *  * ]
While we're in photo mood, can anyone help me identify two players in this photo. Neilly Mochan and Bertie Peacock are the other two. Anyone any ideas? Any help appreciated.

Posted Image

joebloggscity
Member Avatar
For the Glory of the Green
Is that Bobby Collins in the foreground?

camilo torres
Member Avatar
First team training
[ *  *  * ]
joebloggscity
4 Dec 2010, 08:40 PM
Is that Bobby Collins in the foreground?
I don't think so, the height probably rules him out (even taking account of the foreground/background height adjustment!).

camilo torres
Member Avatar
First team training
[ *  *  * ]
Incidentally, I thought perhaps the player at the back leaning on the golf bag was Jimmy Walsh?

lubomirmoravcik
Member Avatar
Genius
Is the guy on the left Johnny Bonnar ?

CaltonBhoy1967
Member Avatar
camilo torres
4 Dec 2010, 08:38 PM
While we're in photo mood, can anyone help me identify two players in this photo. Neilly Mochan and Bertie Peacock are the other two. Anyone any ideas? Any help appreciated.

Posted Image

L to R - ? .John Bonnar,Bertie Peacock - Last guy looks to tall for Mochan I think it is a young Jock Stein.

st.anthony
Member Avatar
Roamin' in the Gloamin'
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Jeezo Camillo, great photos but a bit old for me and you.

I recall the Moy Bar on Patsley Road facing what is now Harry Ramsden's which was knocked down in '85. Wonder in there was any connection with the Gorbals Moy Bar ?

st.anthony
Member Avatar
Roamin' in the Gloamin'
st.anthony
4 Dec 2010, 10:12 PM
Jeezo Camillo, great photos but a bit old for me and you.

I recall the Moy Bar on Paisley Road facing what is now Harry Ramsden's which was knocked down in '85. Wonder in there was any connection with the Gorbals Moy Bar ?

Deleted User
Deleted User

My faither-in-law owned the Donegal Bar and Havana in the Gorbals -- and came from Glenties.
He must have been there that night.
Any merr photies? :pray:

PS, Human Torpedo . . . I got the joke!

HighlandsHotel CSC :thumbsup:
Quote Post Goto Top

The Gorbals Urchin
Member Avatar
Getting on a bit
CaltonBhoy1967
camilo torres

Posted Image

Im sure this was the Mungo halls in moffat street.

wee bertie
Getting noticed in the reserves
[ *  * ]
CaltonBhoy1967
4 Dec 2010, 09:13 PM
camilo torres

Posted Image

L to R - ? .John Bonnar,Bertie Peacock - Last guy looks to tall for Mochan I think it is a young Jock Stein.
This looks like a foursome from the Northern Ireland International team. I think the one leaning on the bag is Danny Blanchflower and one of the others is definately Bertie Peacock.

Jesse James
Member Avatar
Club Captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Great photies guys. Takes ye back tae great days :thumbsup:

lubomirmoravcik
Member Avatar
Genius
wee bertie
4 Dec 2010, 11:01 PM
CaltonBhoy1967
4 Dec 2010, 09:13 PM
camilo torres

Posted Image

This looks like a foursome from the Northern Ireland International team. I think the one leaning on the bag is Danny Blanchflower and one of the others is definately Bertie Peacock.
I think you may be right. That's why I wasn't sure if the identification of Bonnar and Mochan was right. I think it's definitely Danny Blanchflower in the pic though. :thumbsup:

Well spotted :worthy:

Yogi Bear
Beating the huns 3 times at Ibrox in 6 weeks
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
CaltonBhoy1967
camilo torres

Posted Image

My memory of travelling on the Glenties bus was that it originally ran from Benny,s Bar at Gorbals Cross.
As the old Gorbals was pulled down the bus moved pub to pub.
The Cleland Bar was the last i remember before it and i moved elsewhere.

Joe Gallagher ran the bus, rumour has it he cashed in his life insurance to pay for a ticket to the games in South America back in 1967.
Joe took the money for the bus.
He paid for the bus.
If the bus made a loss, he made a loss.
Joe also ran a bar on the bus.
The bus was not a member of the Supporters Association for certain obvious reasons.
If you travelled on the bus you got a ticket somehow, Scottish Cup, Wembley, Leeds i saw them all thanks to the Glenties.

Joe Gallagher was i suppose, Green Brigade, 50,60,70,80 years ago.
Edited by Yogi Bear, 4 Dec 2010, 11:45 PM.

CaltonBhoy1967
Member Avatar
Yogi Bear
4 Dec 2010, 11:43 PM
CaltonBhoy1967
camilo torres

Posted Image

My memory of travelling on the Glenties bus was that it originally ran from Benny,s Bar at Gorbals Cross.
As the old Gorbals was pulled down the bus moved pub to pub.
The Cleland Bar was the last i remember before it and i moved elsewhere.

Joe Gallagher ran the bus, rumour has it he cashed in his life insurance to pay for a ticket to the games in South America back in 1967.
Joe took the money for the bus.
He paid for the bus.
If the bus made a loss, he made a loss.
Joe also ran a bar on the bus.
The bus was not a member of the Supporters Association for certain obvious reasons.
If you travelled on the bus you got a ticket somehow, Scottish Cup, Wembley, Leeds i saw them all thanks to the Glenties.

Joe Gallagher was i suppose, Green Brigade, 50,60,70,80 years ago.
Phoned my Uncle who used to drink in Charlie Tully's pub back in the day - He backs YB up and says Glenties CSC did move around various Gorbals boozers including The Cleland,Derry Treanors,The Govanhill Bar and The Blarney Stone amongst others.

Love the "Joe also ran a bar on the bus" line. ;)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Celtic Football Club Discussion Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply