Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Kerrydale Street. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

If you decide to register, please be aware that we don't accept email addresses from free web accounts like gmail, Hotmail, live.co.uk etc. Sorry, but almost all of the abuse and spam that we get is from free web accounts. The software on the forum will automatically block any requests using a free email account.

Upon Registration, you will be given access to all our varied Forums, and you will be expected to comply with our fairly stringent Rules and Regulations. Meantime, enjoy your visit

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
1970; Celtic socks v Leeds away
Topic Started: 11 Jan 2010, 11:38 AM (3,254 Views)
Leedsbhoy
I'm new. Be gentle.
Anybody know of a colour photograph of this game ? The socks Celtic used are descibed as orange/red/gold/green/yellow ?

A picture WOULD DECIDE ?

THANKS IF YOU CAN HELP ?

:worthy:
Edited by Leedsbhoy, 11 Jan 2010, 11:39 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CaltonBhoy1967
Member Avatar
Billy McNeill - "Mr Celtic"
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Leedsbhoy
11 Jan 2010, 11:38 AM
Anybody know of a colour photograph of this game ? The socks Celtic used are descibed as orange/red/gold/green/yellow ?

A picture WOULD DECIDE ?

THANKS IF YOU CAN HELP ?

From Celtic books - Celtic claimed it was agreed they were to wear white socks and brought those down - Leeds then wore white (reputedly a bit of gamesmanship by Revie) - Offered Celtic blue :rubeyes: or red - Stein went with the red but they looked orange under the floodlights.

Edit - Looking at the picture of Billy Bremner and Cesar at the tossing of the coin (posted by Dianogah immediately below) Bremner is wearing red socks - I would assume that is what we were given at Elland Road.

The picture further down of a dejected Sprake,Madeley and Cooper show pretty conclusively that Leed's away socks were red.
Edited by CaltonBhoy1967, 12 Jan 2010, 12:47 AM.

Dianogah
Member Avatar

All we have

http://kerrydalestreet.com/page/1970-04-15%3A+Celtic+2-1+Leeds+United%2C+European+Cup+-+Pictures

http://kerrydalestreet.com/page/1970-04-01%3A+Leeds+United+0-1+Celtic%2C+European+Cup+-+Pictures

orlandopoolhome
Member Avatar
Bury me in a barrel of IPA
As I recall, they were a deep orange, or tangerine-y colour.

Car*d Bhoy in Dublin
Member Avatar
Green yin's furra feenyins
on the subject of scoks

i see Irvine Meadow wearing their big cousins get up Saturday against the Hibees :rolleyes:

Fly Pelican
The nascent 45
Car*d Bhoy in Dublin
11 Jan 2010, 01:03 PM
on the subject of scoks

i see Irvine Meadow wearing their big cousins get up Saturday against the Hibees :rolleyes:
the ref wasn't fooled - denied them a stonewaller apparently

lubo2003
Youth team player
[ * ]
I was there, they were orange. The only red on show were United's faces when Celtic beat them 1 - 0.

Joe Kickass
Member Avatar
Tired and emotional
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
lubo2003
11 Jan 2010, 01:12 PM
I was there, they were orange. The only red on show were United's faces when Celtic beat them 1 - 0.
they were a set of Leed's away kit socks apparently.

CaltonBhoy1967
Member Avatar
Billy McNeill - "Mr Celtic"
lubo2003
Jock Stein :worthy: quote - "We'll wear the red socks - under the floodlights they'll show up more orange than red and Our supporters will think we are wearing the colours of the Irish Tricolour - That will please them".

lubomirmoravcik
Member Avatar
Genius
CaltonBhoy1967
11 Jan 2010, 01:19 PM
lubo2003
Jock Stein :worthy: quote - "We'll wear the red socks - under the floodlights they'll show up more orange than red and Our supporters will think we are wearing the colours of the Irish Tricolour - That will please them".
I was also there and they definitely looked orange so Stein was right.

IainG
Member Avatar
Ah but I was so much older then,I'm younger than that now
They were the orange socks from Leeds away kit as has been correctly mentioned.Mentioned a lot at the time.

doyle07
Member Avatar
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The newspaper article, Its a skoosh, oh dear

orlandopoolhome
Member Avatar
Bury me in a barrel of IPA
On what basis would red socks "look more orange under the lights"?

Was the game played on a motorway?

mr_whiffy
Member Avatar
Gonnae gies piece maw..........
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
orlandopoolhome
11 Jan 2010, 11:46 PM
On what basis would red socks "look more orange under the lights"?

Was the game played on a motorway?
In the early 70's floodlights were no where near as bright or "clean" as they are today. Modern stadia all have very bright white lights at a constant and uniform colour tempreture so that it looks good for television, back then they had the equivilant of a couple of dozen 40w light bulbs, stuck a hunred feet in the air attatched to a 12v car battery which give off a yellowish tinge, therefore making all the pretty colours look different to what they actaully are or were.
Edited by mr_whiffy, 12 Jan 2010, 12:21 AM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jim62
Member Avatar
up on the roof!!

CaltonBhoy1967
11 Jan 2010, 12:20 PM
Leedsbhoy
11 Jan 2010, 11:38 AM

A picture WOULD DECIDE ?

THANKS IF YOU CAN HELP ?

From Celtic books - Celtic claimed it was agreed they were to wear white socks and brought those down - Leeds then wore white (reputedly a bit of gamesmanship by Revie) - Offered Celtic blue :rubeyes: or red - Stein went with the red but they looked orange under the floodlights.

Edit - Looking at the picture of Billy Bremner and Cesar at the tossing of the coin (posted by Dianogah immediately below) Bremner is wearing red socks - I would assume that is what we were given at Elland Road.
they were red... :thumbsup:

explanation above is spot on..

jonathan1312
Member Avatar
Club Captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
that's one game i'd love to see.

the club should bring out a few of the old classic matches on dvd and sell them for 7-8 a pop, they'd make a nice little packet out of it.

lima1910
Member Avatar
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Never mind the sock colour. We thrashed them 1-0.
That is all :lol: :arrr:

cardenbhoy
Member Avatar
First team training
[ *  *  * ]
I'm reading Davie Hay's book just now and read the chapter today about the semi final against Leeds. Davie goes on about the gamesmanship played by Don Revie and Celtic had to wear ORANGE socks that night.

huddler
Member Avatar
An Argument on Behalf of
'Rustic Autumn' by Dior, if I recall correctly.

klubber_lang
Member Avatar
Bassist with 'The PC Mick Regans'.....

CaltonBhoy1967
11 Jan 2010, 12:20 PM
Leeds then wore white (reputedly a bit of gamesmanship by Revie)
Well that worked :chuffed:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Celtic Football Club Discussion Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply