Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Kerrydale Street. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.

If you decide to register, please be aware that we don't accept email addresses from free web accounts like gmail, Hotmail, live.co.uk etc. Sorry, but almost all of the abuse and spam that we get is from free web accounts. The software on the forum will automatically block any requests using a free email account.

Upon Registration, you will be given access to all our varied Forums, and you will be expected to comply with our fairly stringent Rules and Regulations. Meantime, enjoy your visit

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Media
Topic Started: 1 Nov 2017, 11:12 PM (501,310 Views)
tinsoldier
Member Avatar
Older than dirt
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
In the absence of a dedicated thread to those stalwarts in the SMSM, I thought I'd start one...if that's ok mods :suspect:

After our excellent performance last night, in a match where we deserved a point at least, you would have thought the nation's sportswriters would be 100% behind Scotland's only representatives in European competition. The first piece I read on the game was unfortunately by Bill Leckie, a piece which concentrates almost solely on the negatives of the Celtic performance.

Last night we saw excellent displays by Kieran Tierney and James Forrest.

Both players were brought through the ranks by the club, both are Scottish. But we are forever hearing Celtic don't do enough for home grown talent. Why didn't Bill concentrate on these positives? He's forever telling us how big a Tartan Army man he is.

There are two things here. Celtic being successful, and more pertinently Rangers not. Some in the media just cannot stand it.

I can see these dinosaurs like Leckie, Jackson etc vanishing soon. The print media will continue to succumb to technology, and new writers with something new to say.

Perhaps even nice things about Celtic.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

antbhoy
Member Avatar
Marshal of the Soviet Union
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I think your third to last paragraph sums it up, they just don't like us being successful and that and their team died in 2012.

Was it on here I read I think Ralston looking for negative stories for Celtic, as bad news for us sell papers apparently.

I assume there is no games on the weekend of 11 this month as they love that shampoo on a yearly basis to try and paint our support in a bad light.

They can't help it, look at their predictions last year :lol:

tinsoldier
Member Avatar
Older than dirt
antbhoy
1 Nov 2017, 11:18 PM
I think your third to last paragraph sums it up, they just don't like us being successful and that and their team died in 2012.

Was it on here I read I think Ralston looking for negative stories for Celtic, as bad news for us sell papers apparently.

I assume there is no games on the weekend of 11 this month as they love that shampoo on a yearly basis to try and paint our support in a bad light.

They can't help it, look at their predictions last year :lol:

The predictions is a classic example.

They've signed Joey Barton ergo they win the double. And he's obviously going to be POTY and put those bastards in their place.

Same as Paul Le Guen, same as Auchenhowie blah blah blah.

timbojon
Member Avatar
jonny nae pals
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
last weeks game in munich , grieve ( very apt ) had 3 columns in the hun next day ... fekkin rejoicing he was .

Fly Pelican
The nascent 45
It's spelt mhedia
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

mikebhoy
Member Avatar
Too old for hamlet, too young for Lear

If by “the media” you mean red top hacks like Leckie then I honestly CGAF. If you read the Sun you deserve all you get.

Mubo Loravcik
Member Avatar
Retired and now a BT Sports pundit
No Celtic fan is forced to read propaganda from ill-informed media hacks.

Stop reading them, that will accelerate their demise.

Onnie McGloney
Member Avatar
Club Captain
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
I'm no expert on SMSM and I only caught some of the post match analysis on Radio Scotland last night. To be honest I thought Tom English spoke well about the team and sounded genuinely disappointed that we didn't get a least a draw from the match. They all then went on at lengths to sing up the praises of the Scottish players in the team, including the bloke in the studio and ridiculing the fact that MacGregor has had to wait till now to be selected for the national team. Basically saying there were half a dozen top performances from Scots in the team mixing it with the best and it was great what Rodgers was doing keeping a core of Scots and always talking up our game.
Obviously Packy and MacDonald were full of praise for the team and everyone was honest enough about the mistakes, but English in particular seemed absolutely gutted that we hadn't got something from the game. Maybe he had a fiver on it!
Quite surprised me really!

kettcelt
Member Avatar
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Onnie McGloney
1 Nov 2017, 11:47 PM
I'm no expert on SMSM and I only caught some of the post match analysis on Radio Scotland last night. To be honest I thought Tom English spoke well about the team and sounded genuinely disappointed that we didn't get a least a draw from the match. They all then went on at lengths to sing up the praises of the Scottish players in the team, including the bloke in the studio and ridiculing the fact that MacGregor has had to wait till now to be selected for the national team. Basically saying there were half a dozen top performances from Scots in the team mixing it with the best and it was great what Rodgers was doing keeping a core of Scots and always talking up our game.
Obviously Packy and MacDonald were full of praise for the team and everyone was honest enough about the mistakes, but English in particular seemed absolutely gutted that we hadn't got something from the game. Maybe he had a fiver on it!
Quite surprised me really!
I find Tom Englishs analysis is normally quite balanced - the piece he did on BBC online for the defeat in Munich mirrored the best of the comments on here. In particular the gulf between Bayern spending £10 million a year on stadium maintenance whilst that is somewhere near our transfer budget

Ned Rise
Member Avatar
These boots were made for hunbustin'
Leckie's is an opinion piece and he obviously got fed up reading/hearing about the Celtic performance being good.

He's right in the sense that we give away a lot of cheap goals. Bayern didn't have to work very hard for their goals last night.

But it's utter gibberish to say that there has been no improvement. We should qualify for the Europa League and based on last night's performance we shouldn't be scared of anyone really. I don't expect to take anything in Paris, it would be ludicrous to use games like that as the benchmark for Celtic.

And while Bayern were missing those players he listed, we have to play every single game without them, not just a one-off. Plus we don't get German world cup winners and loan strikers from Real Madrid to take their place.

We also had players like Roberts and Jozo out.

Aside from that, there were plenty of positive reactions to the game last night, on TV, in print and online. If the first piece you read is by Bill Leckie, then there's a good chance that you'll give up there and assume that was the blanket view. Being able to parody him so well, I'm a bit surprised he was the first person you checked out for a reaction to last night, TS.
Edited by Ned Rise, 2 Nov 2017, 12:25 AM.

tinsoldier
Member Avatar
Older than dirt
Ned Rise
2 Nov 2017, 12:24 AM
Leckie's is an opinion piece and he obviously got fed up reading/hearing about the Celtic performance being good.

He's right in the sense that we give away a lot of cheap goals. Bayern didn't have to work very hard for their goals last night.

But it's utter gibberish to say that there has been no improvement. We should qualify for the Europa League and based on last night's performance we shouldn't be scared of anyone really. I don't expect to take anything in Paris, it would be ludicrous to use games like that as the benchmark for Celtic.

And while Bayern were missing those players he listed, we have to play every single game without them, not just a one-off. Plus we don't get German world cup winners and loan strikers from Real Madrid to take their place.

Aside from that, there were plenty of positive reactions to the game last night, on TV, in print and online. If the first piece you read is by Bill Leckie, then there's a good chance that you'll give up there and assume that was the blanket view. Being able to parody him so well, I'm a bit surprised he was the first person you checked out for a reaction to last night, TS.
Take your point T. I read it on here and it scunnered me even though it shouldn’t have.

If the support had done something controversial he would have focused on that.

Ned Rise
Member Avatar
These boots were made for hunbustin'
tinsoldier
2 Nov 2017, 12:46 AM
Ned Rise
2 Nov 2017, 12:24 AM

Take your point T. I read it on here and it scunnered me even though it shouldn’t have.

If the support had done something controversial he would have focused on that.

He's probably never forgiven himself for the column he wrote post-Seville and is trying to make up for it.

For balance, he does tell it like it is regarding the huns being deid ((or he used to anyway, no idea if he does these days).
Edited by Ned Rise, 2 Nov 2017, 12:51 AM.

HenryClarson
Member Avatar
Bolstering the duty of good faith
Newspapers are full of crap. I don't buy any of them and I rarely read their online versions. I couldn't care less what their Hun hacks write or report and I'll be damned before contributing so much as a single penny towards the salaries of trolling vermin such as Leckie, Jackson and the rest. A pox on each of them and all their works.

The BBC is utterly crap too but unfortunately I do refer to its Celtic page regularly for updates. Outrageously, on the day after a closely contested Champions League match between Celtic and Bayern Munich, the BBC is leading its Celtic page with the headline, "Rangers would interest Alan Pardew, says Peter Grant." That is simply contemptible behaviour from what purports to be a public service broadcaster. Indeed, Celtic is the only top division side whose BBC page leads with a story about another club.

ShugSty
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
Long since given up on the MSM for keeping up to date on football. If anything genuine is breaking, I'll see it discussed here.

PMSW
First-team starter
[ *  *  *  *  * ]
The Scottish sports media are an embarrassment to journalism and football. In the age of the internet it is now more obvious how they work as people can call them out on it without fear of losing their jobs.

Whatever we say about minty moonbeams, the thing he did well (at least for a while) was get them all onside and writing what he wanted them to. It's ironic that, for me at least, it is one of the main reasons the old club went under.

They can no longer throw the paranoid card at us as we all know about level5 eg. We have seen leaks in the charlotte fakeover things that supposedly high profile journalists were sending their "stories" to them for the okay before they went to print.

We know that Traynor, in his role as chief writer for the Record and head of sports at the BBC was using them both as a platform to push the hun agenda. If we said that a few years ago he would have mocked but he got caught out when a supposed private email to Craig Whyte was released where he was asking for, and got, a job at hunsville.

Alex Thompson said he had never seen such a closed shop in all his career, which included going to war torn countries which relied on propoganda.

Even the other day when that fud was saying on radio Scotland about needing a strong hun (which tbf English shot him down for) as it is difficult to sell the TV rights etc, it should have been pointed out that one of the main reasons that Scottish football is not as well thought of as it was is because of idiots like him who rather than big the product up, run it down as his favourite team is not involved much.

We have a team who have just equalled a 100 year old record, have made it to the CL groups twice in a row and brought in a better level of player and manager than we've seen for a few years, yet his default is to say we need the huns.

Hopefully one day they will realise how abysmal they are but I'm not expecting it any time soon. The only possible bright spark at the moment is that it looks like jabba is losing his grip a bit on things and there have been suggestions that they won't be using level5 as much or at all soon. Rumour as it stands but I've noticed that Jackshun has had a couple of digs and radio Scotland are now less "scared" to speak out against them a bit more.

atinofbeans
Member Avatar
Club Captain
I am delighted that a thread has been opened: for one, it will let me know what the press are saying; and secondly, the irony that it has been started by the king of SMSM parody is a delight.

LoveCeltic
First name on the team-sheet
[ *  *  *  *  *  * ]
Ewan Murray in the guardian is a hurting hun and all. Refuses to give credit to anyone in green and white.

idyllwild

Absolutely fine with the mods as long as it doesn't become a surrogate huns thread. :thumbsup:

Kingslim
69 and counting
The fact Leckie is the topic of discussion, means, he has done, what he set out to do.
Edited by Kingslim, 2 Nov 2017, 01:35 AM.

youroldpalmark
Member Avatar
She just loves my big ten inch record of her favorite blues
[ *  *  *  *  *  *  * ]
idyllwild
2 Nov 2017, 01:29 AM
Absolutely fine with the mods as long as it doesn't become a surrogate huns thread. :thumbsup:
Nah. TS just wants a handy repository for his parodies. :thumbsup:

3 users reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Celtic Football Club Discussion Forum · Next Topic »
Add Reply